1:6| Rosephayne ✦ A witch

Darker than Blanc
1st Life | Daybreak
©Emika_3206

.
.

[1: 6] — Rosephayne A witch

She was holding on to Thorin's hand, as they walked through the market place, ignoring the harsh whispers sent her way. Markets in ports 2 hours away was a breeze but shopping in the civilian district of Ilida Town can be quite draining. Especially when they all seemed so busy about whispering amongst themselves.

Witch.

Everyone seemed to be a witch these days.

Someone who works as a healer.

Someone whose husband died must have been connected to dark arts.

As long as there is someone who didn't conform to society's standards, there always had to be a witch. People also started rejecting the idea of mystical creatures, so they hunted the faeries, then dragons. When there was no one else left to hunt, they hunted amongst themselves.

Rosephayne had seen neighbors, friends and sisters turn on each other. Pointing fingers— witch! witch!witch!

They scared themselves mad with lores of dark magic and witchcraft, and used that in order to kill their own kind. Some for reasons of exaggeration, and some for reasons of jealousy.

Frankly, it was sickening.

Truly this is a frightening time to be alive. Where you wouldn't die from predators but actually from your own kind.

She held Thorin's hand tighter. He gripped back in reassurance.

He looked up at her with those curious blue eyes, questioning her.

She shook her head with a smile on her face.

........
Rosephayne watched Thorin cut through the herbs for a Viridian Salve in commendable accuracy. Thorin turned out to actually be a good student, listening diligently every time  she explains. He absorbs every fact or process like a sponge. Plus she now has someone to water the garden so her chores were halved.

Then she noticed his brow furrowing, before he finally gave up and placed his knife on the board.

"Hey, are you waiting for me to make a mistake?" He frowned, sending a mild azure glare her way.

"No," Quite the opposite actually. "I was mentally applauding you for your good work."

He looked extremely skeptical, seeing as Rosephayne laughed merrily, more than she had in years the first time Thorin made a Viridian Salve and the black blob exploded on him.

"The base actually looks normal now. Keep up the good work my apprentice."

"... they called you a witch." Thorin mumbled hesitantly. Rosephayne stopped midway as she reached for a jar atop the shelf.

"Look here kid, I'm a healer okay?" She clarified.

"... why do they also target humans too? I thought your kind only target magical creatures." There was a flash of hate and something dark in his eyes.

"I wonder. It's a cruel time to be alive huh," She shrugged. "Don't worry Thorin, so long as you reside in this forest, I'll protect you." Although she said that lightly, that was a promise she was determined to keep in this life.

To be continued...