1:10| Hildegard✦ A Little Longer

Darker than Blanc
1st Life | Daybreak
©Emika_3206

.
.

[1: 10] — Hildegard A Little Longer

"My dear Hector, don't be sad," She wanted to wipe the tears from his bottle green eyes. Her energy was draining and fast. She was well aware of how her clock was ticking to its end. It felt as if she had all the time in the world and no time at all. If she closed her eyes, she could still smell the morning dew and feel the fresh grass beneath her feet as she ran through the fields of the plains of Oneira with a young Hector.  She remembered every breath, every detail in startling clarity. From the moment the young commoner met the future king, everything changed for the both of them. Hector was her rock, through all the tough times. He stood by her side through the best of times and worst of times. With him by her side, she could conquer anything.  Together, they had been ruling the prosperous kingdom of Anamniseis.

She had spent thirty glorious summers with him, and she's afraid there wont be another one.

"Dearest Hildegard, you just need to rest." Hector was obviously not listening. Even in her death he is as stubborn as they go.

"That isn't it Hector. Shall I perish," Hector froze visibly.  "Then my ashes would join the stars and I would guide you from above."

"Please Hector. I wish for you to be happy, even when I am no longer by your side."

"Is... is it even a life without you?" He whispered faintly, but she managed to catch it. Her body was giving up on her. She wanted to live, to stay just a bit longer but it seemed as if for all the evil deeds that the previous monarch committed, it was Hector and Hildegard that suffered. They were both young and wide-eyed, as they ventured on to rebuilding their nation that was riddled with corruption and so close to breaking down. They had successfully revived Anamniseis, but they could never revive the fathers,mothers, siblings and family members that wrongfully perished at the whims of the deranged tyrant.

It seemed quite fitting. The plague had suddenly ravaged the land of Anamniseis. It was incurable and highly contagious. The infected would writhe through excruciating pain and death in itself was almost a luxury. When Hildegard was infected, she thought it was some form of punishment that she had to suffer. It almost seemed like divine retribution.

"It would hurt for some time, but you would move on. I would never want you to suffer Hector. Mourn, but then move on," She said, even with a heavy heart. "You are a great king my dear, and you will be one of the best. You'll do even greater things, and you'll continue our dream."

At this point, Hector was crying even harder. She wouldn't want to leave him when he needed her the most, but her body was giving up.

That child....

She suddenly remembered the blue eyes blazing with fury and distrust. The child that they had saved, but ended up running to the cursed forest that no one dares to venture to.

"Hector, make sure that no child would ever have to wrongfully suffer again, please promise me that." She murmured. The creeping chill of death was slowly seeping through her bones. Early morning light entered the room. The sun was rising outside, her last daybreak.

"I promise, dearest."

"Hector, I was really really happy with you in this life," She gave her energy to smile brightly, despite her hollowed cheeks and peeling skin. "My heart, I'll wait for you in the next life...."

Hildegard had all the time in the world and no time at all.

And she wished, she could have stayed a bit longer.