6:1| Ruthanne ✦ A charmed life

Darker than Blanc
6th Life |Carissimi
©Emika_3206

.
.

[6:1] — Ruthanne A Charmed Life

Ruthanne Beauregard lived a charmed life. Her father was a wealthy businessman owning a bunch of land and mountains. Her mother was a noble with her family having a tight grip on the court.

She lived such a comfortable life, away from the horrors and pains of the world.

Ruthanne grew up in a loving household. She remembers playing with her brother and cousins, running along the hills before running back to their respective estates when evening arrives. The smell of freshly cooked dinner would flutter around the house and Ruthanne would immediately feel her stomach grumbling and her mouth watering. Her mother would then tsk, removing a leaf or sometimes a twig from her mess of blonde locks. They would then be ordered to clean themselves up, take a bath and change clothes. Her father would then return from his trip from a foreign land, bringing with him a bunch of gifts for the time he was away. Their family also goes to the temple every Sunday to pray to the goddess for love and prosperity.

"Mom, about the story you told me yesterday," Rosaline murmured softly, as she entered her parents' room. Father was not here, as he was probably in some rural province somewhere in the world of Neolutara.

She then pulled her sleeves up, to reveal angry gashes on her left arm. "Is this it?" She asked, her face contorted in discomfort.

Again, Ruthanne Beauregard lived a charmed life...

That was before the soul marks came in. It had first started out as small cuts across her arms, scrapes on her knees-— before it had all escalated to angry whiplashes on her back, then chain marks on her throat, wrists and ankles.

Ruthanne stared at the red marks on her wrists, before looking up to her mother with eyes full of questions. Her mother's eyes were brimming with unshed tears. She shook her head, while pulling Ruthanne in a comforting hug.

"God how could you be so cruel?" Her mother cried. "How could my daughter's other half be suffering like this?"

Soulmate.

It seemed odd in her tongue.

If these injuries are from that person, then for sure Ruthanne has a soulmate. But she doesn't have a mark.

See in this world, everyone is born with a soulmate. It's a blessing that the Goddess of Love gave to everyone who was born through love. The goddess aids her people in finding their other half in two ways : through soulmarks and soulscars.

They have a soulmark branded in their body, which is what their soulmate would first say to them. Her mom's soulmark was "I didn't know angels exist until now" which was her dad's sorry excuse for a pick-up line when they first met in the Grand Pier. Her mom, being the bitch she was, simply rolled her eyes then snapped : "won't you sod off" which had then been her dad's soulmark. Sparks literally flew and then they lived happily ever after.

Then came the soulscars. Any injury your soulmate sustains would reflect on your skin, however you won't feel the same pain.

Everyone was born with a soulmark but soulscars come along the way as they grow. However for Ruthanne, she does not have a soulmark but she receives soulscars. Her mother has a few theories — Since soulmarks are what your soulmate would first say to you when you first talk to each other, then perhaps Rosaline would never get to talk to her soulmate at all. They would never meet perhaps.

The idea that she doesn't have a soulmate is scrapped since she received his scars. The idea that her soulmate was suffering somewhere out there in this world, and that they would never meet was what frightens her the most.