6:15| Ruthanne ✦ go

6:15| Ruthanne ✦ go

When he removed his rat mask, Ruthanne felt cold dread settle at the pit of her stomach. Her soulmark was also humming in her left arm.

"Thomas!" She shrieked, and was immediately by his side. Until she realized— that Thomas was in fact, public enemy number one..... Thanasima.

"Ruthanne," His voice was back to normal, no longer the barbed wore voice of Thanasima but more on the smooth voice of Thomas that she knows. "You have two choices now... heal me, and I will see to it that no damage be done to your person— or let me die... I don't think I have to explain what will happen to you, when I die."

How many times had she imagined meeting her soulmate? Her other half that had been suffering unimaginable horrors somewhere in this world.

How many times had she rubbed her soul scars, silently praying that the pain he had been feeling would gradually pass by?

She understood now.

All the pieces finally clicked into place.

Why Thanasima spared her. Why Thomas avoided her. Because Thanasima has no need for a soulmate. He didn't want her. He doesn't need to say it— she was a liability. His weakness.

But....

He didn't kill her. He protected her from Marshall.

That had to mean something, right?

....

She healed him, nevertheless. A pale blue glow ignited at the tips of her fingers. She purified his wounds, and even erased all of his previous scars. This was a healing that could only be done by soulmates. That's why Thanasima was infamous for murdering the soulmates of his enemies.

His blue eyes were blown wide, as he inspected his previous accumulated wounds.

"You have my gratitude, Ruthanne." He said stiffly.

"I am not wanted, I understand that," Ruthanne started, trying to stop her voice from quivering. She can't cry here. "I am under no delusion to stop you, when you are so obviously intent on diving head first to your death, I just—"

"I just wish I could've met you before you became Thanasima." Soulmates sometimes do not end up together. Sometimes they remain friends. Sometimes enemies even from different factions. And Ruthanne understood that this.... arrangement would not work.

She cupped the sides of his face tenderly, before leaning in.

It was love too when you let someone go.

She felt his cold fingers on the back of her neck, blue eyes staring at her coldly.

"W-Wait—" She pleaded desperately, feeling as if this would be the last moment she'd ever meet him in this life. There was a kind of certainty, of finality that it even caused her to panic. "Thomas, please, in the next life, choose me."

Darkness.

.....

"She's alive!" Someone was abruptly shaking her. Ruthanne cracked her eyes open, before coughing. The temple was burned to ashes....

But she was still alive.

Thomas spared her.

"Are you alright?" The man had dark hair and emerald eyes. If she was right, this one was Harriet's knight.

She nodded numbly, before feeling her heart cracking.

He already killed Harriet, the Lady Lora's beloved child. He ravaged temples all over Adrimore. Thanasima was close to ridding this world of their destined mark. He was risking a God's wrath, if he doesn't fall for the wrath of the masses first.

His time was ticking.

In the survivor's tent, she cried alone. She finally let the tears fall. Hurt over the death of her friend, and fear for the chilling certainty that her soulmate's end was nearing. She tried acting tough, acting as if it didn't hurt when she was rejected before, but now that she was alone, it stung with a vengeance.

She hoped she had been more selfish, begged him even to run away with her, they'll run far far away from Adrimore Empire. She had entertained the thoughts of throwing away everything for him, running away from everything for him.

She wonders if Thomas sometimes thinks those thoughts too...

It scares her just how much she'd give up for him if he'd just ask. How could someone she only met briefly have this much effect on her?

But maybe, just maybe she does affect him too. For a short moment, he leaned in and kissed her back. It spoke of despair and hopelessness, and the same level of desperation and longing. At that moment, she felt as if she found the home of her heart— only at the wrong timing.

Before her vision faded to darkness back then, she swore she heard him say....

"I'm sorry, Ruthanne."