Chapter 73

Naina

Sometimes, only a moment can change someone’s life, for the better or the worst.

I have heard this saying many a times in my life, and this is the third time that I am realizing how much of a truth and weight that statement contains.

The first time I felt like this was when my parents I got the news about Naveen’s arrest.

That was the moment when my life turned upside down, everything changing for the worst when we found out about Naveen being arrested and charged with treason.

The second moment that changed the whole course of my life was when I found out about Naveen’s death. The news had hit me with such a wave of pain and sadness that it had taken me many weeks to just accept that my brother is gone and had taken many months for me to stop wishing and dreaming about him coming home one day and telling us everything was a part of some undercover mission he was going on.

Even after all these years the thought of my brother not being with me causes my heart to clench painfully.

And today, I am feeling the same pain, anger, and fear for the third time.

I am too overwhelmed right now, unable to understand how everything changed in just a span of few hours.

All the misunderstandings between Rajveer and I were just cleared. We had just gotten together and had started to find semblance of happiness with each other.

But as it has been always happening, my happiness has yet again been snatched from me before it could further blossom.

“No, Naina. Don’t think anything negative,” I tell myself, thinking of how to get Rajveer out of this mess.

Pacing in my room, I think back to everything that has been happening since last night.

I had walked out of the gathering as soon as I saw that sinister smile in Captain Abhimanyu’s face when he talked about Rajveer with me. That smile had rang warning bells in my head. And the way he had told me I would regret defending Rajveer in front of him. It had caused those bells to ring more loudly in my mind.

That is why, when he had walked away, I had ran out of there, searching for Rajveer everywhere in the academy.

After I walked out of the gathering, Aalekh, Huda, Pooja, Yudi, and Ali did too, and we all searched every corridors and rooms of the academy, looking for Rajveer

But we did not find him anywhere inside the KMA.

I even kept calling him, kept messaging him, but he neither received my calls, nor did he replied any of my messages.

After the lights out when Suri Sir and Lolita Ma’am ordered us to return to our rooms, we had no choice but to do so.

Still, after returning to my room, I kept calling and messaging Rajveer the whole night. But he never responded. Instead, after a few hours, as I continued calling him, I found that his phone had been switched off.

That worried me more. Only I know how I spent the whole night, dangling between fearing for his safety and desperately praying for him to be fine.

In the morning, when Brigadier Chandok ordered all the cadets to assemble at the hall for the urgent announcement, that doubled my fear. Yet, I willed myself to also be slightly hopeful. I willed myself to drive every negative thoughts from my mind as I walked toward the hall.

My legs leadened with every step I took forward, but still I kept hoping that whatever news Brigadier was going to give us was either totally unrelated to Rajveer or if it was related to him, it would be good news about him returning to the academy.