Chapter 30

Third Person's POV

'I need to do this,' Naina thinks.

It is time for her to face the demons of her past and start a new chapter in her life.

She opens her eyes after a while and looks at Rajveer, his presence giving her the confidence she needed to bare it all in front of him.

"Sir, you had once asked me how my life was before Naveen's arrest. Do you remember?" She asks him, and Rajveer nods.

"Well, I was a very protected and pampered girl. My parents and brother loved me to bits, fulfilling my every wish, every demand, and indulging my every whims and fancy.

"I was a simple, fun-loving girl whose world revolved around her family and friends.

"I never knew what real sadness was. I even used to think that everyone in the world was good and kind like my family. I was so naïve and so stupid then," Naina pauses, thinking about those simpler times in her life.

Rajveer peers at the slight smile on Naina's face, imagining a happy and carefree Naina living her life to the fullest.

He knew Naveen loved his sister. He used to see affection and fondness in Naveen's eyes whenever he talked about Naina.

His chain of thoughts breaks when Naina starts speaking again.

"Then, Naveen was arrested, declared a traitor, and shot dead.

"That changed everything.

"All my friends who adored me once, left me, not wanting to do anything with a traitor's sister. All our relatives too turned their backs on our family.

"The situation was so dire that my father had to beg a few men to help him get his son's body to the cremation ground." Naina sobs, recalling how his father had pleaded with the men outside their house.

Rajveer quickly moved toward the sofa where Naina was seated, and sat beside her.

He keeps his hand on her shoulder and brings her closer to him, rubbing on her shoulder soothingly.

He knows she has much more left to say, so he continues reassuring her, waiting for her to speak again.

"We were so helpless then, and I was forced to grow up in that short period.

"Since my birth, my parents and brother had looked after me, but my parents were broken after Naveen's death.

"I then started to look after them, reassuring them and telling them that everything will be fine.

"But nothing was fine.

"Our neighbors started taunting our family, talking rubbish about us whenever we walked out of the house.

"It got even worse when the boys in our neighborhood started passing lewd comments to me. They would look at me in a way that would make me feel naked. According to them, I was a traitor's sister, so I did not have any dignity and respect as other girls in society.

"They would tell me to spend a night with them and whatnot.

"I never told my parents about this because I did not want to worry them, but things got out of hand when a group of boys passed those disgusting comments when I was at a market with my father.

"Papa scolded those boys and immediately took me home. That day my parents scolded me for not telling them about all this.

"They then decided to move out of Almora and get settled in Nainital, where no one recognized us." Naina now cried openly, leaning on Rajveer's shoulder.