Chapter 79

Mature content ahead. Reader’s discretion is advised.

***********

Naina

I pace in the living room of Rajveer’s quarter, feeling nervous about how he will react seeing me here in this attire.

The moment the verdict was given about him being not guilty, I was over the moon.

Only I know how I stopped myself from shouting in joy and running to him to hug him. When he had come later to thank me, I had seen it in his demeanor too. He too wanted to embrace me as much as I wanted to do it too.

But that was neither the place nor the time to do that.

So, I told him I would wait for him in the academy in his quarter. But when I got here, I realized I need to go and see Malini too and tell her what happened in the court. Although she had not met me in the hospital, I somehow understood she was the one who convinced Abhimanyu to confess to his crimes.

That is why I left the note to Rajveer, saying I was going to meet Malini and also told him to visit her in the hospital, telling him the reason behind her being admitted there. In the note, I also told him I needed to make one more stop after the hospital before returning to the academy and meeting him.

Leaving that note to Rajveer in his bedroom, I had gone to the hospital first. And after I met Malini there, I realized I was indeed right about her being the one who persuaded Abhimanyu to confess in the courtroom.

I had felt too overwhelmed with gratitude due to her help. So much so that I profusely thanked her for saving Rajveer and she had looked at me knowingly then. As if she understood why this case and Rajveer’s innocence being proven was so important to me.

Once out of the hospital, I went to the other place to get this attire that I am currently wearing. I wanted to....

My thoughts get interrupted when the quarter’s door open and Rajveer walks inside, his feet halting when he sees me.

My whole body heat up when I feel his eyes appraising me in this red sari I wore especially for him tonight.

He slowly starts to walk toward me and I too walk toward him, both of us bridging the gap between us.

Once we are close enough, he again looks at the sari I was wearing before glancing at my face.

“Naina,” he says, his voice deep and questioning. As if silently asking me why I was wearing a sari.

“That night, before everything went down, you had said you wanted to see me wearing red sari. Since you were not able to do it then, I thought I would again wear it for you today,” I tell him.

Hearing my reply, he takes a deep breath, before stepping closer toward me. We were too close now. So much so that I could feel his breath fanning my face.

“You look gorgeous, Naina. Simply breathtaking,” he says, making me feel shy due to his heated stare on me. “Is this the same sari you wore that night for the gathering?”

I shake my head. “No. I bought this one today. After meeting Malini in the hospital, I went to the dress store nearby and bought this.”

He frowns at me. His grey eyes gazing me intently. “Why new?”

I take in a deep breath. His intent staring was causing butterflies to flutter at the pit of my stomach, making it harder for me to concentrate with each passing second.

He raises his hand to my face, his fingers caressing my cheek, slowly tucking the stray strands of my hair behind my ear. I bite my bottom lip to stop the moan that threatened to escape when he started rubbing the spot behind my ear, just above the earlobe.