Chapter 22

Third Person's POV

"OUT, CADET SINGH. GET OUT OF MY CLASS," Rajveer shouts at Naina.

Feeling embarrassed due to being shouted at in front of everyone in the class, Naina runs out of there and goes to her room.

Once inside the room, she let the tears flow and cries her heart out.

'So back to square one, Naina Singh Ahluwalia. What did you think? That you could live? That you could dream? When has life been easy for you?' She thinks, with silent tears pouring out of her eyes.

She knew that Rajveer did not reciprocate her feelings, and she was ok with that.

She was content with only loving him, not expecting him to love her in return.

The only thing she expected from him was his support. She had belief that he will not leave her side amidst the chaos of taunts and rumors in the academy.

But what he did instead?

He disregarded her and insulted her in front of the whole class.

He shouted at her to show everyone that he wants nothing to do with her, and that crushed her heart.

Although he thinks Naveen is innocent, he does not want to be linked with the alleged traitor's sister.

"Rajveer Sir is also like the others. Why, Naina, why? Why do you love him?" She closes her eyes, taking a deep breath as a raw pain washes through her.

She cannot just stop loving him, but she will not come in his way anymore.

If he wants nothing to do with her, then she will give him that. After all, she loves him, and she will not let his honor get compromised because of her.

She had thought she would have the strength to go through this again if he is by her side, but losing the support of that one person who matters the most broke her.

Feeling helpless, she slumps on her bed.

'No matter how much it will crush me to stay away from him, I will do that for him,' she thinks, closing her eyes to let more tears fall.

She cries for the loss of her love, for the loss of her only support.

------------------------

After finishing his class, Rajveer walks toward Brigadier Chandok's office.

He is feeling guilty for shouting at Naina. The way he talked with Naina, she didn't deserve that.

None of this is her fault. The rumors started because Major Bhargav tricked them and the way he feels about her is also not her fault.

'But still, it is she who is bearing the taunts and humiliation.' That thought makes his heart heavy.

He knows other cadets have been taunting her because of Naveen and now because of him too.

They will never say a word to him because he is their teacher, so Naina will have to bear it all alone.

Aalekh and Yudi will also be returning after a week, and her other friends are not talking with her.

'She is all alone and hurt, and my behavior must have given her more hurt and loneliness,' he thinks.

But he needed to do it. He needed to distance himself from her to protect her honor.

'There is no other choice.' He sighs and enters Brigadier Chandok's office.

------------------------

Inside her room, Naina is still thinking about Rajveer when she hears a knock on her door.

She quickly climbs down from her bed, hoping that it is Rajveer coming to talk with her.

But her hope is crushed when she sees an orderly standing outside.

She frowns when he hands her a letter sent for her by Brigadier Chandok.

Once the orderly is gone, she closes the door and opens the letter.

She feels suffocated as she reads it.

The letter stated that Captain Rajveer is no longer her mentor.

'So, Rajveer Sir has decided to cut every tie with me.' She slumps on the floor, tears pouring out of her eyes as she feels her heart clench painfully against her chest.

------------------------

It has been four days since Rajveer shouted at Naina in his class, four days since he gave up his mentor position.

After that incident, he has seen visible changes in her behavior.

He noticed she avoided him as much as possible.

Even in the drills and in his class, she would only speak when he asked her questions regarding the lesson.

He also tried to appear as normal as possible, interacting with his students like before, not letting them know how all this has affected him.

He has been trying very hard to make his voice sound happy and carefree, hoping that the cadets and faculty in the academy will not think him to be sulking after being distanced from Naina.

He feels that his nonchalant attitude will also help to douse the rumors as soon as possible.

But that does not mean he disregards Naina's presence altogether.

He looks at her time and again wherever he can without anyone else noticing--be it in the class, in the ground, in the academy hall, in the corridor, or in the mess.

He has noticed that she has stopped interacting with everyone in the academy.

She comes to the drills and the class, interacts with the teachers when spoken to, comes to the mess to eat, and quietly goes to her room.

She is completely and utterly alone. Seeing her lost face, he etches to go to her, talk with her, and reassure her.

But he stops himself every time because he knows everyone in the academy is monitoring their actions and interactions.

He has also noticed that she looks at him only when answering his questions in the class or during the drill but other than that, she altogether avoids looking at him, always keeping her eyes downcast.

"I miss her." He sighs heavily.

He missed the smile she used to give him.

He missed her barging inside his quarter without knocking.

Her missed the endless questions she used to ask him.

He missed her stubbornness and determination to prove herself right whenever they argued about something.

He missed everything about her.

It has been only four days, and it feels like an eternity since he last talked with her.

Every time he sees her sad face, he feels a strong urge to go to her and hug her, protecting her from everything going on in KMA.

He feels so helpless seeing her all alone in the academy and not being able to do anything about it.

'Just go and talk to her. You know you want to,' his heart encourages.

"Yes, I want to. But I cannot. No matter how much I miss Naina, I cannot let my feelings ruin her career," he consoles his heart.