Chapter 66

Rajveer

Making myself a cup of coffee, I am about to walk to the living room when my quarter's door opens and Naina comes barging inside.

Although I try my best, I am unable to hide the smile that curves my lips on seeing her reverting back to her old habit.

No matter how the things are between us now, it had bothered me when she had suddenly started knocking.

"I brought food for you," she says, handing me the food parcel.

Sighing, I keep the cup of coffee and the food parcel on the table before sitting on the couch.

"You did not need to bother yourself, Cadet Singh. I am capable of getting my own food."

"Well, you did not come to mess to get this special food prepared for the appraisal's participants. If I had not brought this, you would not have gotten it. It was about to finish too," she tells me. "See for yourself. I could only bring half the food because I had to give the other half to Ali as this was the last parcel left.

"I will get the plate and spoon for you," she says, about to walk to the kitchen, but I stop her.

"Cadet Singh, I appreciate you doing all this for me, but I can take care of myself. I have been doing that since I was a child," I tell her, and the sad look that flits across her face after hearing me tells me she is remembering our time in the meadow when I told her about my lonely childhood.

She had promised me that day that she would never let me feel lonely ever again, but she broke all her promises when....

I shake my head, not wanting to dwell on the past anymore.

What is done, is done. All they can do now is try to move past it.

What about your relationship with her? Won't you give it one more chance and try to heal the cracks that are threatening to break it forever? My heart questions, and I sigh, unable to figure out which answer to settle on.

I do want to try and salvage our relationship because I still love Naina as much as I did before.

But there is something that stops me every time I try to take a step toward the decision of giving us one more chance.

"Here you go," Naina says, interrupting my thoughts, and I frown when I see a plate and spoon in her hand.

"Naina, I said--" I start saying, but she interjects.

"Yes, I know you can do everything by yourself. But I am your supporter in the appraisal, and it is my duty to do all these things for you," she reasons. "Also, I like doing things for you."

Not knowing what to reply to that, I take the plate and the spoon from her hand.

"Did you eat?" I ask her while putting the food on the plate from the parcel.

"Of course, I did. I ate first and then brought you the food here," she answers.

Nodding at her, I start eating. The appraisal's third test starts in two hours and I need to be fully prepared for it.

As I continue eating, I can feel Naina's eyes on me. I know if I told her to go out of the quarter now, she won't have any excuse to give me to stay here with me. So, I do not say anything.

Although I am still hurt and angry with everything that happened between us in the last few days, I also feel slightly happy, seeing Naina making efforts. It has made me feel that I at least hold some importance in her life.

But despite that, there is still some reluctance within me, due to which I am unable to completely give in.

The love my heart holds for her makes me strong and vulnerable at the same time.