Chapter 21

Rajveer

I come out of solitary confinement, still reeling under the realization that I am in love with my protégé, Cadet Naina Singh Ahluwalia.

I do not know what to do with this new feeling.

I have never fallen in love before. I had been in one relationship a few years ago, with Anamika.

When she confessed her love to me, I did not refuse because I liked the idea of being loved by someone then.

But soon, within six months, to be precise, Anamika and I realized that we were not meant for each other. She wanted love from me, but I could never give her that. Because no matter how much I tried, I could not fall in love with her.

We then parted ways, and after that nightmarish experience, I decided to focus on my duty and dedicated all my time to my country.

It did not mean I stopped wishing for love, though. I hoped to fall in love someday, make a new life with her, and have someone to call my own.

But I never thought I would fall in love with someone I am forbidden to have.

I know if I acted on my feelings for Naina, not only will I get court-martialled, but Naina will also be thrown out of the academy.

Thinking about it strengthened my decision of staying away from Naina.

I will not let my feelings destroy her life and career. I will stay away from her.

With that thought in my mind, I turn on the corridor to go to my quarter when I see Naina in front of my door, waiting for me.

I slowly walk toward her, memorizing her face, the concerned expression marring it and I wonder if it is for him.

Seeing me, she smiles--a shy smile which I have noticed she only gives me, no one else.

I feel a lump rise in my throat as I continue walking toward her.

How to stay away from her? Why is it always him who must sacrifice?

But I need to do this for her.

"Cadet Naina Singh, what are you doing here? It is almost time for the lights out. You must return to your room," I say as I reach where she is standing, and notice her smile falter a bit.

"I came here because I was worried about you. Are you fine, Sir?" She asks.

My heart flutters, hearing her question.

'She cares.' That thought almost brings a smile to my face. But I know I cannot fall weak now.

So, with the stern look on my face, I answer her, "I am fine, Cadet. Now that you have gotten your answer, please go back to your room and let me go to mine."

I am sorry for being rude to you, Naina.

I look at her for a few seconds while silently apologizing to her, and without waiting for her reply, I enter my quarter, closing the door behind me.

-------------------------

Naina

I stand in front of the closed door, confused about why Rajveer Sir behaved that way with me.

He has never been rude to her. No matter how stubbornly she acted or how unreasonably she behaved, he was always kind to her.

I also noticed he did not smile while talking.

But he always smiled, what happened now?

Confused by his behavior, I stand there for a few seconds before turning and walking to the room, all the while thinking about him.