Chapter Eight - A Deal with the Enemy

Death's Gift - Chapter Eight
A Deal with the Enemy

"Who's she?" Blaise asked once Harry had sat down.

"My friend Hermione."

"The one Weasel called a muggle?" Draco asked, somewhat disgusted.

"Yeah."

"So she's a mudblood." The blond drawled.

"Don't call her that." Harry shot at him.

"Why? I'm just saying what she is. No need to get so defensive."

"My mother was a muggle born." Harry reminded him.

Draco paled, "Oh- I forgot."

"Mhm." Harry pulled out a book.

"Do you even know why we call them that?" Blaise asked.

Harry thought back to the books he'd read from the black library, "Yes, and I understand calling someone a blood traitor as well. The term mudblood though is just very harsh and rude. Name calling is unnecessary and makes you come off as childish and immature."

"Says the guy who used cooties as an excuse not to hang out with people until he was ten."

Harry looked up from his book to see Theo taking a seat in front of him. He smirked.

"I like to think of it as prolonging youths fantasies actually."

Blaise chuckled and shook his head, "Of course you do."

"Mr. Zabini."

Everyone turned to see Snape with a stack of papers in his hand.

"Your time table."

Blaise took it from him, "Thanks Professor."

"Mr. Potter-Black, yours."

Harry grabbed his own from Snape, "Thank you Professor."

Snape's eyes lingered on Harry for a moment longer before moving on to Draco. Harry shrugged it off and went back to his book, only to be drawn from it by Draco telling him that the food had appeared. They ate in relative silence until the chorus of flapping wings and boots came. Hedwig dropped a letter off in front of Harry before nudging his hand and helping herself to some of his food. Amused, Harry picked up the letter.

Harry,
You're a Slytherin?! Not that there's anything wrong with that, there isn't, it's just that we were almost positive you were going to be a Ravenclaw! Guess we'll have to make your curtains green instead of blue. Watch out for Snivillus (Snape). He hated all of our guts during school and will probably hate you too because of it, he's not one to let go of grudges. Hope you make some new friends, it's already weird without you here. Keep us updated on all of your to be pranks with the twins.

Sirius and Remus

P.S. Remus is still very on edge about the bet you two made, you'll make a great seeker -Sirius