43

Jenny's pov

"no, that's not fair!" i told scott as i defensively crossed my arms.

"it totally is!" he shot back, on his side as he laid down next to me on my bed. "can you not read?" he said, shoving the open page in my face as i leaned back, moving his arm away.

"we both won, so i don't get why i have to buy your ass dinner tonight." i said, and he laid on his back, holding the book up in the air in front of him.

"ummm because? i deserve a prize," he said with attitude as he defensively pointed at himself. "also known as a nice dinner." he quickly mumbled under his breath. "you know what?" he looked over at me "so do you. so i've now decided that i'll be buying you dessert."

remember that bet we made on who we thought the kidnapper would be in the book? yeah, it ended up being the weird guy and the awkward one—they turned out to be brothers. so, scott and i both technically won this bet he spoke so highly of, and have been bickering about it all day.

these past two weeks i've gotten closer with andrew and scott—i've formed a friendship with them both. andrew came to me for advice on emily, he said he only trusted me and wouldn't talk to anyone else about it. i promised him i wouldn't say a word to her, though it was so hard because emily and i have gotten even closer. i stay up almost every night with emily and kayla—we sit in my room as we have late night talks.

it feels like i'm getting the friend experiences i should've been getting in high school. i'm glad i'm getting them now though—for one, i'm more mature, and these are real friends that i know won't leave me over something petty.

alex was being alex, going out everyday and hanging with us all occasionally. i felt a little guilty, because as soon as she left we'd talk about her. that was allowed though, right? considering how she's hurt each of my friends in the past.

emily compared the way scott and i bond like the way kayla and timothée bond—i don't know if that's a compliment, i'm still deciding in my head. kayla said it was, since they had this funny, sibling—like bond that was all jokes and fun. i always admired their friendship, i was glad timothée had someone like kayla in his life. i knew he'd never admit it, but she was important to him. and he was important to her. i've never really had a guy friend like that up until now.

"fine, only because i want you to shut up already." i said to scott, and he rolled his eyes.

"or because your obsession with ice cream is slightly concerning." he said, sitting up with a small groan as he turned the page. "who's reading the next chapter first?" he asked.

"you can." i answered.

"okayyy shut up now i'm reading." he said as he got comfortable, leaning into the pillows on my bed as he began to read.

"you're seriously gonna read right now and leave me alone?" i asked, "wait that sounds like i'm sad—no, this is a good thing, i can get some drawing done." i said as i excitingly got up, opening the drawer of my nightstand.

"or you could say wow scott, i love your company, please keep talking." he said as he looked up from the book, "ungrateful." he said sarcastically, clicking his tongue.

"i'd be nicer to you if you didn't call me newbie every ten seconds." i said as i sat back down, opening my sketchbook.

"i'll have to put up with your cockiness then," he said with a nod, quiet as i flipped to a clean page, picking up my pencil.