65

Jenny's pov

kayla was still asleep when i woke up. she'd slept over in my hotel room when we got back last night. i surprisingly fell asleep quicker with her next to me.

the first things i thought about this morning were coffee, food—and that damn kiss.

i don't understand.
i've kissed him thousands of times, why was this one so different? why am i still thinking about it? a single kiss, the thought of it making my stomach feel weird. why was it so different.

the idea of facing him today makes me want to throw up from embarrassment. i feel like i'm gonna do or say something weird, and he'd call me out on it and make things ten times worse. why couldn't he just be normal, why can't i just be normal?

i hadn't worn his sunglasses in so long, but today, as we all walked out to the lobby, they rested on top of my head. it was very sunny outside. but i just wanted to wear them again.

i went straight to the little coffee station, bummed out by the hot coffee as i watched it fall into my styrofoam cup. i wanted something cold. maybe i'll just burn my tongue on this bitter coffee and have an excuse to stop talking once and for all.

things were looking up for our friend group though. now that kayla and i were good, everyone was good. marley's absence was huge. he was a big part of the bickering and laughing and joking—but now the pressure of filling his playfulness was all on scott. it's like scott had to take his wittiness and amp it up a thousand times.

i stood by the coffee table with my bag on the floor, sipping on my miserable way too hot coffee. i added so much sugar.

harry walked up and made himself a cup—just plain black coffee. "how could you do that to yourself?" i said my thought out loud.

"sorry?" he asked, looking at me.

"you might as well pour acid down your throat, i mean."

he looked at his cup and then back at me. "you drink yours like a kid with all that sugar."

"well you drink it like a psychopath."

"well you are a psychopath."

i laughed and he smiled a bit. i don't think we joke around that much, but i liked it. "switch." he said, holding his cup out in front of me.

i scoffed, "you think i'd willingly drink that?" i looked at his cup.

"we've done everything together, you might as well."

i gave in and we switched our cups, taking a sip at the same time. except i pretended to take one, and scrunched my face up afterwards to show a reaction. i've tried black coffee before, so my reaction was real actually. he immediately shook his head as he swallowed and we switched cups again.

"never again." he said, nodding at me as he walked away, towards the group that was now heading out.

"always a pleasure talking with you." i called after him. i picked my bag up and smiled as i followed along, watching him go listen in on what emily was telling everyone.

i counted everyone ahead of me in my mind, realizing timothée wasn't there. maybe he was already outside, probably smoking or something.

"did you take acting classes?" i hear him ask beside me.

i almost flinched from how startled i was, but i tried to play it off. "what?"

"it's just that you made that sip look so real." he whispered close to my ear.