Chapter 29

Kokichi was currently wary of everybody else. Especially Shuichi.

He didn't know who was chosen to carry the motive which made it all the more difficult. And even if Monokuma had technically said that it wasn't like his own motive, he was still at risk. Everyone was.

But now that he thought about it, something was wrong.

'I've considered this before, but I merely dismissed it as me overthinking it, but I really can't do that anymore. This has gone way too out of hand. Why has nobody mentioned my motive? At first I was really grateful, I didn't have to answer any questions regarding that, but they haven't mentioned it even once. I especially thought someone would bring it up when the new motive was presented, since they do share some similarities, yet nobody did.

'Then there's what I said during the investigation of Rantaro's murder. I said that the motive was that we were told that the mastermind was among us when it wasn't true. Yet Shuichi didn't think to correct me. Sure, maybe it was his shy nature, but he still should've spoken up.

'Maybe someone noticed how shaken I was and told everyone to pretend it never happened? No, they wouldn't do that for me. Plus, I'm sure that they would've wanted to question me. I could tell them who the mastermind is, or what Danganronpa is and get them to escape. Yet no one has approached me with those intentions.

'It's almost as if they had forgotten all about it. But that's not even possible. No, it is. But why would the mastermind want them to forget? What would she gain from this? Isn't she missing an opportunity to cause me despair? Or does she have another reason, a reason much more important?'

Kokichi bit the nail of his thumb in concentration, trying to think up a reason as to why they would've forgotten. Yet he couldn't think up of anything.

He sighed and left the area in which he was in, putting his thoughts aside. For now, he needed to come up with a plan.

Okay, who would die this round?

His first option was Kaede. She really wasn't doing anything, she was practically a side charecter. Plus, her personality made her the perfect victim for the mastermind. But something told him that she perhaps won't die just yet.

Then maybe Korekiyo? Like Kaede, he hadn't really contributed to the story at all, and mostly served as the filler character. Maybe his life would play an important role in the future, but that wouldn't be now.

"Ah geez, am I really debating on who would die?" He sighed in disappointment. "Wow, I really do need to get a hobby don't I?"

Then the angel known as Gonta appeared before Kokichi, giving him an idea on how to pass his boredom. It seemed as if all cautiousness had disappeared the minute Gonta appeared.

"Gonta! What are you doing here?" Kokichi asked as he skipped to where Gonta was and looked up at him, a playful smirk on his lips.

"Ah, Kokichi! Gonta just walking and looking for bug. But Gonta no can find bug." Gonta replied, looking around quickly. Gonta's love for bugs had always confused Kokichi, but he had decided to not question it.

"Man, are you still looking for those pointless bugs? How boring." Even if Kokichi expressed boredom with what Gonta was doing, he made no sign of moving. "Hey, let's go over there!"

He pointed to a clearing excitedly, tugging on Gonta's hand a little. Gonta looked to where he was pointing and nodded down at Kokichi. Kokichi smiled and ran to where said clearing was, Gonta following close behind.

At that moment, Shuichi and Korekiyo chose the time to pass by, noticing the two males running to a clearing. They stopped walking and looked at them, confused expressions on both of their faces.

"What do you think they're doing?" Shuichi asked as he turned to face Korekiyo, a smile that showed no kindness displayed on his face.

"I do not know." Korekiyo responded, looking at Shuichi. A smile appeared from behind the mask, a soft laugh following close after. "But whatever it is.. I'm sure it'll be beautiful."

Korekiyo continued to head towards his destination, however Shuichi made no gesture of moving anytime soon.

His expression was unreadable, wondering what Korekiyo meant by "beautiful". Whatever it was, it bothered him greatly.

He turned to the duo, glaring at Gonta for no apparent reason. He sighed loudly and headed towards his own destination, muttering things under his breath.

Gonta looked up suprised as he felt the glare, turning quickly towards the direction he felt it come from, finding no one there. He looked back at a confused Kokichi, wondering what that feeling was.

"What's wrong bug boy?" Kokichi asked, careful to hide any concern.

"Nothing wrong. It just.. Gonta felt a bad feeling now. Like, someone want to kill Gonta." Gonta looked worried for a second, but it quickly went away, being replaced by one of his smiles that seemed capable of lighting up an entire room. "It's probably nothing. Gonta just think too much."

Kokichi looked down at his feet, trying to avoid Gonta's look. 'Someone trying to kill him? But who would do that? He hasn't done anything wrong. He has just been hanging out with me... hanging out with me. Hanging out with me! Oh no, this can't be.'

Kokichi looked up with a frantic expression. "Bye." He didn't say anything more and just left, heading towards the school.

He stopped at an empty corridor, looking around to make sure that nobody else was nearby. He leaned against the wall and called out.

"Monokuma, get here this instant. I need to talk to you about something." Kokichi looked around, growing impatient by the minute. Monokuma usually arrived after a few seconds of being called. This was taken too long.

"Monokuma, are you deaf or what?!" Kokichi angrily said, looking up at the nearest camera. "Get here. Right now."

Then all of the sudden, the monitor sprang to life.
And there was Monokuma's smug face looking down at him.

"A body has been discovered! Please gather to the courtyard to start the investigation!"

Kokichi made no movement. He just stood there, trying to process the words.

"Better get moving kiddo." He heard Monokuma's voice from beside him. "Who knows? Maybe it's someone you were close with."

-----------------------

When Kokichi arrived at the scene, he couldn't believe his eyes.

He felt his vision getting blurry.

He couldn't see nor feel anything.

'Was this how he felt when he saw her die? Ah, such a terrible feeling.'

Kokichi felt his legs give up under him and he collapsed.