Chapter 21

After his investigation of the warehouse, Kokichi knew that he needed to investigate other places. For starters, he still hadn't questioned all of the students. Then there was the glass shards mystery. He needed to know where they had come from.

He decided to start with the library. It was logical after all.

If the glass had not been gotten from the warehouse, then there was a probability that it was taken from the library. The globe to be specific. Maybe there was some glass container in it that the culprit had tooken and used.

Kokichi skipped on over to the basement. The basement was sort of creepy to him, but he shouldn't dwell on that. If he wanted to survive the killing game, he'd have to suck up things that scared him. The dark was nothing compared to the killing game.

Kokichi arrived infront of the front entrance. He wondered if anybody would be in there as he opened the door and stepped in.

To his surprise, he saw Kaito and Maki looking around the stacks of books. They looked up when they heard the door open, but when they saw Kokichi enter, they went back to doing whatever they were doing before.

Kokichi smiled awkwardly at their direction before walking towards his own path. He walked up to the globe and started poking it as if he didn't know how to open it.

Of course, he did know how to open it. After all, he was the one who had discovered it in the first place. However, if he were to just walk up to it and open it infront of Kaito and Maki like he did it everyday was sure to cause suspicion. Knowing them, he'd probably be questioned untill the trial announcement rang, and he did not have time to just stand around and answer questions.

After he was sure a comfortable amount of time had passed, he opened it. He let out a satisfied hum as it opened.

He peeked in, hoping to find something in it. He was disappointed to see that there was no glass container in there, but even more disappointed to see that it was completely empty. No container, no material, no nothing. Not even the things Tsumugi had used for her crime was in there.

He frowned as he closed the lid. He put his hands on his hips as he sighed dissatisfied. It appeared as if his trip down there had been for nothing.

He saw Kaito from the corner of his eye. 'Well, not entirely.'

He walked up to them, the most innocent expression on his face. "Kaito, Maki. Could I ask you some questions."

Kaito and Maki stopped rummaging through the book stacks and turned to look at him. Kokichi stared back awkwardly.

After a moment of silence, Maki sighed loudly before responding. "Let's get this over with. What do you want?"

Kaito shot her a confused look and looked at Kokichi suspiciously. Kokichi was simply suprised that they hadn't objected to being questioned by him.

"Great, glad you accepted!" He clapped his hands enthusiastically, the same way a realtor would do after you signed a deal. "So, what were you two doing at nighttime yesterday and at the time of the murder?"

Maki didn't seemed suprised at the questions. "Last night... I was training with Shuichi and Kaito. We continued past our usual time though. As for this morning... I woke up at exactly 6. I was exercising untill the morning announcement. When the announcement rang, I went over to..... invite Kaito to see if we could find any weak points on the End Wall."

She seemed flushed as she mentioned the "inviting Kaito" part. Kokichi was more interested at the fact that she woke up at 6 to do excercises. He didn't think the Ultimate Child Caregiver would need to be that fit. But if she was what he thought she was, this new piece of evidence would certainly be helpful.