Special Chapter 1

A/N: Im sorry for making ya wait more for Chapter 9. I sorta want a break and write something else. I also realized how little Saiouma this has. So, have a special chapter with Saiouma. Chapter 9 will be uploaded in a few hours, so you won't have to wait long.

Edit: This was made before Chapter 9. Im too tired to change the author's notes, so just ignore them for the time being.

Kokichi played with his food as the others talked. He was listening to their conversation while stabbing a piece of broccoli with his fork. They were currently talking about investigating the school.

"Right. It's better if have partners, right?" Ryoma spoke making everyone turn to him. "If one of us is in cahoots with the bad guys, they could do something without us knowing. We need partners to keep an eye on eachother."

"I suppose that is right." Kirumi nodded along with other students.

Kokichi didn't say anything. He did believe the idea was a good one. He decided that if they asked him, he would insist to go with the detective. Shuichi was quiet and reserved. He figured that the detective wouldn't ask him any questions.

"Then I guess we're supposed to pick our partners?" Kaede asked. Kokichi thought it was pretty obvious, but refrained from commenting.

Everyone nodded and started asking others to be with them. Kokichi knew it wouldn't be in too much time for the detective to be asked. Shuichi seemed like the type to nod quietly and go along with whatever the other wanted. Kokichi could not let this opportunity go away.

"I pick this one!" With quick movement, Kokichi was hugging a startled Shuichi's arm. He looked up to Shuichi's face with a huge smile.

"Wha-! I'm so-"

Kokichi cut him off by changing his expression to one close of crying. "You... don't want to work with me?"

"N-no, it's not like that..." Shuichi hurried, not wanting to make the young boy cry. In Shuichi's eyes, Kokichi was a small, scared, alone child. Oh how wrong he was.

"Then it's decided!" Kokichi smiled brightly once again. He pulled Shuichi out of his chair and dragged him out of the dining hall.

"What... just happened?" A confused Rantaro asked as the door closed behind them.

"I have no idea." Tsumugi responded, equally confused. In fact, everyone seemed confused.

-----------------------

Kokichi took Shuchi to the library. He picked the library since it seemed like the most likely place to commit a murder. He figured with his brains and Shuichi's knowledge as a detective, they could find some interesting stuff.

"We're going to explore the library, okay?" Kokichi pushed Shuichi in. He didn't even need to ask since he forced Shuichi to do so.

"Okay?" Shuichi seemed confused as to why a 5 foot guy with purple hair had dragged him to the library. But he seemed to understand that he would investigate the library.

"Great! Let's start!"

-----------------------

After some time of the two of them investigating, they grew quite tirred. They weren't done though, so they decided to take a little break.

Kokichi walked over to where a pile of books were and gently moved them aside. "Sit here." He commanded to Shuichi. Shuichi just nodded, not in the mood for a argument.

After seeing Kokichi sit down, he smiled happily. He didn't know why he smiled. Just seeing Shuichi look so relaxed made Kokichi feel satisfied.

He turned around and started browsing the shelves. His landed on a semi-thin book between two thick ones. He blew on the area in hopes of blowing the dust away. Satisfied, he took it out of the shelf. He blew on the cover to take away the dust.

Once the cover was revealed, he started at it for a few seconds. With a grin, he turned back to Shuichi.  With book in hand, he ran back to Shuichi, stopping infront of him.

"Shuichi, read me this book." He handed the book the Shuichi with a smile.

"Erm... okay?" Shuichi looked at him confused. Kokichi just smiled and sat beside him. He rested his head against Shuichi's shoulder, causing Shuichi to tense. He stared at the book, waiting for Shuichi to start.

"Well? Are you going to start?" Kokichi asked, clear annoyance in his voice. He didn't mean it though. He found it funny to have the detective feel nervous around him.

"Right. Yes." Shuichi opened the book, stopping at the title page. "How the Story of Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer Symbolizes Basic Human Nature."

(I came up with the book. Don't expect to find it online. I think...)

Shuichi seemed so confused at the book he was about to read that Kokichi had to bite his lips in order to keep from laughing. He had chosen the book for two reasons: To see a confused Shuichi, and because he was genuinely curious anout the subject.

Shuichi cleared his throat as he flipped to the first page. He soon started reading. "The story of Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer is about a small reindeer with an abnormally bright, red nose. Rudolph was often teased by the other reindeer for having such a weird nose. This however, changes when Santa needs to deliver presents on a foggy night. Santa notices how Rudolph's nose is so bright, that it would be helpful to let him see in the darkness. Santa decides to make Rudolph his lead reindeer, making everyone love Rudolph. But, how does this compare to human nature?

"In the beginning, Rudolph was nothing special. He was just a reindeer with a birth defect. Because of this, he was bullied and ignored by the others. He was thrown away and made a outcast by the others for being different." Shuichi paused in order to take a breath. "But suddenly, when he becomes useful, everyone wants to be with him. He earns the title as the most important reindeer, and suddenly everyone wants to be his friend. All his bullies were basically throwing themselves at his hooves.

"This shows that naturally, everyone wants to be with the person of more power. If your nothing special, nobody will care about you. But if your rich or famous, everybody will want to be with you. If your nothing, nobody wants you. But if you suddenly become something, people will be tripping over themselves to befriend you." Shuichi finished reading and closed the book.

Kokichi found himself agreeing with the author. It was an interesting view on children's shows and human nature.

"That was... dark." Shuichi mumbled as he placed the book beside him.

"It certainly was." Kokichi said. He was still leaning on Shuichi's shoulder. He had no intention to move.

Kokichi yawned. He was tired. He rarely slept anymore and investigating really caused some strain to his mental state. Without caring if Shuichi minded, he closed his eyes. Soon, his breathing slowed down as he fell into deep slumber.

Shuichi felt the weight on his shoulder soften slightly. He did his best to turn his head to see the small boy. He was suprised to find him sleeping. But he didn't have the heart to wake him up.

"Good night."

-----------------------

Kokichi stood up the moment he woke up. He was disappointed in himself to have fallen asleep in the first place.

He looked around and saw no Shuichi. He must've left not too long ago. Good.

Kokichi walked over to the *****. The moment he had stepped into the library, it had bothered him immensely. He didn't want Shuichi to see him touch it. He didn't know if Shuichi was the mastermind anyway. If he was, Kokichi was most likely in danger if ***** turned out to be anything special.

-----------------------

With a sigh, Kokichi walked out of the library. He had to admit it.

Spending time with Shuichi was fun.

He hoped it would happen again.

A/N: I hate this story, oh sweet Atua. This chapter isn't relevant to the plot, other than the ending part.
Uhh, if you want to, I'd like to hear your theories so far? There isn't much information recived yet, but I'd really love to here y'alls thoughts. Okay, I'll go finish 9 now.