Chapter 7

"A body has been discovered! Please gather to the library to start the investigation!"

Whatever Shuichi was about to say was cut off by the words coming from the monitor.

"Wait! N-no. Why...?" Shuichi seemed startled to hear the body discoverment announcement. "Why would they kill someone? T-there hasn't even been a motive yet? Why...?"

"Look on the bright side detective! We get to get out of here!" Kokichi smiled as Shuichi glared at him. Even if he was smiling, he felt like throwing up. Why has the killing game started? Didn't the others give their word that they wouldn't kill?

'That's funny coming from me' he felt a little foolish thinking that the others would keep their promise. Maybe he really wanted to belive that they would. But there was always a nagging suspicion as he saw them.

"Shuichi, let's go. Hopefully, they've unlocked the door" Shuichi nodded with a pale face as he followed Kokichi to where the door was. The door was in fact opened. As Kokichi opened the door, he was greeted by no other than Kaede Akamatsu.

"Holy hell!" Kokichi jumped back startled at her sudden appearance. After realizing what he had done, he coughed. "What? Seeing the face of someone so ugly so suddenly is bad for my heart."

Kokichi could see Kaede fighting the urge to hit him. He could also feel Shuichi glaring at him. 'Right. It's the power couple.' Kokichi snickered silently as he dismissed the thought.

After a quick second, Kaede seemed to remember why she went there in the first place. "Right. Shuichi, Kokichi. We need to head to the library right now. Everybody else is waiting for us there. Quickly now. Imagine La Campella by Franz Liszt to help you pick up your pace."

Even if Kokichi had no idea of what "La Campella" was, -he imagined it was some kind of music- he followed after Kaede and Shuichi to head to the library. As they went down to the basement, he stopped and grabbed Shuichi.

Shuichi yelled at the sudden motion, causing him to stumble. "Why did you do that for?" He asked angrily as he stood up and faced him.

Kokichi pulled his head down to whisper into his ear. "We did have a motive. The motive was the fact that they told us the mastermind existed. Because of that, everyone is suspicious of one another. That'll throw them into chaos." Shuichi relized that what Kokichi had said was true. Without thinking, he started mumbling some different possibilities under his breath.

"Come ON Shumai! We don't have all day." Kokichi pulled Shuichi down the stairs since Kaede was getting annoyed of having to wait for them.

As soon as the three students arrived, they rushed into the library. The minute Kokichi went in, the smell of crusty old books hit him like a truck. But there was something else. The smell of blood.

He walked to where the smell was the strongest, which was at the corner infront of the rear entrance. There, he was met by a disturbing sight.

Rantaro Amami lay dead, propped against the bookcase. There wasn't any major amount of blood, but nonetheless Kokichi could tell that he was dead. Perhaps it was his from the expression of utter betrayal frozen of his face. Or maybe it was the thin line of blood on his neck that seemed to wrap around it, like a choker.

"What took you so long?" Maki, the Ultimate Child Caregiver asked as she noticed the three arriving. Everyone turned to look at them with pale faces as they noticed their arrival.

"Oh. I was getting Kokichi and Shuichi..." Kaede looked like she was about to throw up. "But... why would they do this? R-rantaro didn't need to die..."