Chapter 9

~Nagisa POV~
~Two Years Earlier~

Ayato and I made our way to the alleyway where we tracked our target to.

The target was a bigger man who blew up an elementary school in Montana who fled across the US to Louisiana.

We had no reason to believe that he was onto us. After all it was rare that a target knew when we were onto them. An assignment never lasts long enough for them to catch on.

It's also rare that the target has something we don't know about.

I signaled Ayato to move in, confident that we could finally take this guy down.

However this guy was different. Not only did he know we were coming but he also had a team that we didn't know about.

That's why when we dropped in we were much more underprepared then we would care to admit.

"Oh I see you finally decided to drop in on us. How long has it been? Two days? Three maybe?" The guy states as he turns back to look at Ayato and I.

"Us?" Ayato asks.

"Oh you really are behind aren't you? You felt so confident too," The guy sneers.

Suddenly I feel two guys holding me back and trying to stop me from moving.

"Hey! Let me down!" I shout. Ayato looks over right as two more guys grab a hold of him.

I feel a needle stuck in my neck right as I see someone do the same to Ayato, temporarily paralyzing the two of us.

The lackeys chain the two of us to a wall and finish right as we are able to move again.

Once we are fully able to move again and begin trying to undo the chains The guy pulls out a grenade. He pulls the pin and throws it in our direction before exiting with his lackeys.

We get up and start attempting to leave when My foot falls into a broken part of the floor. I tell Ayato to go but there wasn't enough time and the bomb went off.

Ayato and I are thrown into opposite walls. I couldn't see anything and I fell onto the ground. I called out to Ayato. I figure he's either unconscious or dying because he didn't respond.

I black out seconds later. I fade in and out of consciousness as I'm brought to the hospital. I couldn't see anything but I heard a lot of shouting and a really annoying beeping. The beeping went flat repeatedly but never for very long.

Once I woke up and was able to stay awake I was in the hospital covered in bandages, unable to move or really even see.

~Ayato POV~
~Two Years Earlier - Same Events~

Nagisa signals me to drop in. I do so, trusting her judgement. She usually isn't wrong with things like this.

But as soon as we drop in our target turns back to look at us with a huge grin on his face.

"Oh I see you finally decided to drop in on us. How long has it been? Two days? Three maybe?" The guy smirks.

"Us?" I ask.

Nagisa yells something and I look towards her as she's held and picked up by two guys that are at least twice her size. I attempted to walk over to her to help but I grabbed from behind like her, a needle was quickly jammed into my neck and I couldn't move. I could faintly see Nagisa fall limp on the other side of the room as I was dragged over to a wall.

We were chained to said wall and they finished just as we were able to slightly move again.

Once the two of us gained full ability to move the guy laughed, "Good luck."

Before I could ask what he meant, he unpinned a grenade and threw it towards us and quickly left the door he was standing by.

Nagisa and I got out of the chains but it was too late.

I started running to the door ahead of us but Nagisa got stuck in something.

I try to go back to help her, despite her protest, but the bomb goes off flinging me into the wall behind me. Sound is suddenly muffled and I hear faint cries from across the room. I start to respond but I'm too weak to do anything. I black out within seconds.

I woke up in the hospital after knowing how long. I hear faint sounds but I can't make out what any of it is. I can't move but I feel bandages tightly wrapped around my body.

I didn't fully regain consciousness for what felt like days and was in and out that entire time.