𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺 - 𝚆𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙽𝚊𝚟𝚒𝚐𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝙴𝚡𝚎𝚛𝚌𝚒𝚜𝚎

𝚈/𝚗'𝚜 𝙿𝙾𝚅

On this sortie, the mission handed down to us, the 104th Cadet Company, was to split each squad into two detachments.

Retrieve the object that had been planted in a specified location, and return to base with it.

A simple task covering a distance of roughly 80 km in total. This is called the Wasteland Navigation Exercise.

It's a field exercise in which the cadets are split into two detachments and make a trip through a wasteland.

Both groups depart at the same hour and travel along two different routes, retrieve the planted object, then return to base.

The target of this exercise is to find out how well one can stay ert in a non-critical situation.

Marco took the helm of our detachment. Armin was made the scribe, tasked with recording every event.

I was assigned as the lookout, tasked to make sure that everyone is under control and there are no quarrels.

The second detachment was led by Thomas Wagner, with Mikasa as their scribe, and Reiner as their lookout.

Both groups left the training camp at the same time and took separate paths encircling the massive forest.

After exchanging information at our destination, we were to return to the training camp via the other group's route.

The point of the exercise was to see how alert we could remain in peacetime. Most of us don't seem interested, to be honest.

Eren became impatient with the slow pace, but Jean argued there is no point rushing as putting in the extra effort will not better his chances of entering the Military Police.

Sasha and Connie, meanwhile, complain of the lack of excitement with Jean agreeing.

Spotting a lizard, Jean decided to try hunting it, stating that securing food is also part of their mission.

Eren intervened, demanding Jean to stop fooling around but Jean insisted there is no point in taking things seriously.

"Stop this!" Marco had to get off his horse.

"Stop acting like children." Connie shouted from his horse.

"You're one to talk!" Jean shouted back at Connie.

So this is why they needed a lookout. It's because of troublesome children like Eren and Jean that I have more work to do.

Marco reprimanded Jean, telling him disturbing the formation will be documented.

"Armin, don't record any of this yet." I demanded, getting off of my horse with my blades drawn.

"S-Sure thing." Armin nodded, putting down the scribe.

"Just put down that Jean Kirstein was obstructed by Eren Jaegar while he was hunting for food." Jean suggested.

"What did you say?!" Eren angrily yelled.

"Hey, shut it, you two." Y/n commanded. Eren and Jean immediately shut their mouths after glaring at each other for the last time.

We decided to move on. Nightfall then arrived, engulfing us in darkness. We had to camp in one place for a while.

We then ate our rations around the campfire, with Sasha stating the lizard would have been tastier.

Eren and Jean get into another argument, criticizing each other's reasons for joining the military.