Chapter 7 - Where is she?

It was quiet in the Duke's office.

The air was still and chilly.

Duke Fredrick Reynold was sitting straight at his desk with his ever so stoic face. Gregory was standing motionlessly beside him.

The duke fierce gaze was looking straight at the silver haired young man standing in front of him.

The duke looked calm, sitting like a statue. But in truth, inside him, a violent storm was raging.

He wanted to shred Lucas Maxwell into pieces. He wanted to punch him hundreds, no, thousands times. He wanted to unsheathe his sword and slash him in half. There are so many awful things he wanted to do to him.

As a father, he wanted to do it.

But as the duke of House Reynold, or simply, as a rational man, he knew he can't do all that. 

And of course, it is impossible in the first place.

He stole a glance at his son's knuckles that was covered in bandage. He heard that Gregory punched Lucas Maxwell's face yesterday. But in contrast to Gregory's injury, Lucas' face was flawless without even a slight bruise.

If only he wasn't a swordmaster, I really want to at least beat the crap out of him and leave bruises all over that body! T-that filthy body that touched my cherished daughter!!

He recalled his son, Gregory, stormed into the residence with the face like he can explode any minute.

"Father. I know why Lyssa ran away."

He felt like his body was breaking into pieces and fading away when Gregory told him the reason. He was glad that his wife was not there at the time. She'd surely faint.

"That's not possible!"

Pregnancy was something that men can easily avoid. Magic technology has evolved since hundreds of years and one of the great accomplishment of the Magic Tower was the creation of a contraception called Unbearing Gem. As a tradition, all unmarried aristocratic men carry it around in the form of pendants, brooches, rings or earrings. And it is enough to just be in the same room with the gem during the 'action' for it to be effective.

"Father! The freak was smiling when he found out! He must've planned this out!! He must've want to monopolize Lyssa so much that he dare to besmirch her honor!"

"But why would she run away?"

"It's obviously because she didn't to be tied to him! Why else?"

Duke Reynold will never find fault with anything their daughter did. That how much of an angel she is to them. So there was no reason why she did not tell them but ran way instead.

But knowing her daughter, he could not deny what Gregory said. That playful girl was probably running away from being tied down to a man.

"Hah!"

The Duke's loud sigh that broke the silent made both of the man in front of him flinched slightly.

"Gregory had told me. But I'll ask you. Is it true?"

His voice was clear and calm. But he clenched his fists as he asked.

"Yes, my lord."

Lucas answered firmly.

It was an ambiguous question, but there was no need to clarify about what the Duke was asking about.

Duke Fredrick continued to observe Lucas. Despite feeling enraged and angry, deep down, he knew that Lucas was a decent man. In fact, as the family head, he always thought Lucas Maxwell was the most suitable marriage partner for his daughter.

In fact, he had already made plans to slowly talk to Allyssa into considering once Allyssa turned 20.

How many times did Ducal House of Maxwell sent marriage proposals for Allyssa's hand in marriage, that he had to dispose because the old promised with his dear daughter?

How many years did this persistent young man had obviously tried to win Allyssa's heart, but only to be treated carelessly by his carefree daughter?

Duke Fredrick knew Lucas Maxwell was an upright person, who truly follow the good conduct of the knights. He had done a background check on him. He knew rumors about him being a womanizer was not true. He even knew why the free-spirited Allyssa approached him in the first place.

That girl was just wanted to have fun. It was not that Duke Fredrick did not expect this kind of things to happen, but he always pray that things like this will never happen.

To think that even a righteous knight resorted to something like this to try to tame the unruly daughter of his.

Duke Reynold had really wanted to put all the blame at Lucas. He tried to find excuses. But his rationality convinced him that he can't solely blame him. It was just that he don't want to admit it out loud.

"So, what will you do?"

"I'll find her, Duke Reynold! I swear on the honor of the Maxwell Knight Brigade! And I will take full responsibility!"

Lucas unwaveringly answered.

"Tsk. I hate it when you said that. Talking about taking responsibility as if like you're getting a reward! Remember why she ran away in the first place!"

"I apologize. That wasn't my intention, Duke Reynold."

Lucas quickly bowed deeply.

"I am very sorry for what happened. I'll gladly receive my punishment, whatever it is, after I safely bring Allyssa home."

"Humph! I already ordered my people to move. You can do whatever you like. Just contact me as soon as possible if you found her or if you have any news about her!"

"I will, Duke! I promise you."

"Enough. Get out."

"Yes, sir!"

"You too, Greg. Find Noah and discuss it with him. There's a lot to prepare. "

"Alright, Father."

Now alone, Duke Fredrick Reynold massaged his temples.

Why did she had to take after me so much?

The duke lamented to himself. He recalled his wild and carefree younger self.

It doesn't matter much if she was a man. But she's just a girl, for God's sake!

Sigh.

Duke Fredrick covered his face with his palms.

Allyssa. Where are you?

***

Meanwhile.

The balcony of the 12th floor of Magic Tower of Alpina.

"Uwahhh... All my life, I never thought that I would ever step my foot inside of the Magic Tower!!"

A certain black-haired girl with gleaming pink eyes was excitedly screaming. She was enjoying the view from the balcony.

She can see the vast ocean-blue sea in front of her. She can smell the salty air. She can hear the sound of waves hitting on the rocky cliff. She can feel the cool breeze touching her face.

"The breeze is unexpectedly nice and cool! Amazing!"

"Of course. The whole tower is surrounded by an invisible thermoregulatory device that filtered the cold winter breeze into warmer air. You can't find such thing anywhere else in the world!"

An androgynous voice proudly answered her from behind. She turned her head, looking up at the owner of the voice.

She beamed at him.

"I didn't expect this, but, thank you for letting me stay here, Oscar!"

Oscar warmly smiled at Allyssa.

"Anything for you, love."