Chapter 51.5 (Part 1) Eugene (Side Story)

He leaned on the chair, putting all his weight heavily on the ergonomic chair.

He sighed.

He remembered it.

"My baby."

He remembered her warm hand caressing his head.

"Do you know why I named you, Eugene? It's E-U-G-E-N-E. That's how you spelled it. Not Y-U-J-I-N. Even though it's pronounced the same, it's different."

Her eyes looking at him were full of unconditional love. Very deep and strong.

"Hehe. I watched a K-drama that I really like. The ML's original name was Yujin, then somehow he ended up in the US where people called him Eugene. As I watched it, I thought, it's so COOL! It sounds like an eastern and a western name at the same time!"

She kissed his cheek and hugged him.

"What a cool name! I thought, 'I'll definitely name my son Eugene!' When I told your dad, he said, 'Do whatever you want.' So when you were born I named you Eugene."

Her embrace became tighter.

"When you grow up, you might resent me for carelessly naming you after a fictional character. I'm sorry."

He remembered a few drops of warm fluid fell on his head.

"Please don't hate me, too, Eugene."

He remembered her sobbing.

"Your dad won't come home again, tonight."

He remembered she cried herself to sleep, a millionth time.

He remembered everything ever since he was about two years old. Even if he wanted to, he couldn't forget anything.

He has a useless talent called a photographic memory.

It was useless because it couldn't prevent her death. He was useless because he couldn't do anything.

A genius. A prodigy. A talent that is born once every millennium.

People called him a lot of things. They admire and envy him. He went to the best business school abroad and graduated early as the top student. While working at his own father's company, he independently made a lot of achievements and succeed in a lot of high-profile business deals.

But he hated it.

He hated the company that his greedy father inherited after marrying the company president's daughter. The young daughter he married right after he divorced the wife he neglected at home.

He hated his step-family.

He hated his stepmother who was only 14 years older than him. The one who completely destroyed his already broken family. The one who was always wary of him. The one who was paranoid that he was aiming for his step-brother's position. The one who played the victim and blamed him for everything. The miserable lady was drowning in her own despair after finding out that her husband had multiple love affairs after they are married.

He hated his two step-uncles. The ones who lost the company to a mere son-in-law. The ones who kept on scheming to steal back the company. The ones who have sent people to try to kill him multiple times. The ones who instigated his stepmother and step-siblings against him.

He hated his step-siblings.

He hated the spoiled good-for-nothing stepbrother who is six years younger than him. The so-called heir who knew nothing about business. The one who only knew how to fool around at parties.