Chapter 16 - The party where it begins...

*flashback chapters starting from this*

Spring.

My second social season after debuting.

Last year's social season was plain boring right from the Debutante Ball. I wasn't able to have fun at all.

No thanks to Greg.

Well, it was partly my fault. At first, I did thought social gatherings were a pain.

Being forced to mingle with with strangers while exchanging fake pleasantries you don't even mean... Just why would people do that?! Just the thought of it drained the soul out of me.

Please understand, before this life, I was a full-pledged introvert who hate to socialize!

I didn't have many friends. And I was not even close with them. I guess that was why I made many poor choices in my previous life, mainly when it comes romantic relationships. Especially that doomed marriage.

That was why I ran away alone to the blissful coastal city of Kannes in South Kingdom right before my debut.

Greg who understands me became a little overprotective. Like a mother hen protecting her chicks.

Turned out it was a useless worry. I'm the daughter of the third most powerful family in the Empire, after all. I don't even have to pretend to like anything or anyone.

And the balls and parties were... Amazing!

From choosing fancy dresses, to being dolled up with makeup and jewelries, then escorted to enter the venue while knights announcing my name, the people greeting me with politely and respectfully, making me feel all important.

And the luxurious decoration of the ballrooms, the delicious food, the dances! I love everything about them!

I never knew I was actually a vain person who loves VVIP treatment. I guess wealth and status can really turned you into a new person.

Or my upbringing as the beloved daughter of Duke Reynold changed me into a whole new person with a totally different personality.

Anyway.

Tonight I'm going to a party hosted by the only Archduke of the Empire. It was one of the most important parties for the highest class nobles, second only to the parties hosted by the Imperial family.

My bestfriend and cousin, Princess Juliana was excited. Last year, the frail princess got sick right after our debut, she had been missing out a lot. So she was making sure I accompany her to most parties this year.

So, here I was, in the Imperial Palace, getting an imperial flower oil massage and spa treatment, courtesy of the princess.

"Ne, Lyssa. Do you think I'll be able to catch the attention of remarkable, charismatic, good-looking guys tonight?"

Princess Juliana, or Lia, bashfully asked me.

I, who was lying face down on the massage bed, turned my head toward her. Her sparkling sky blue eyes was looking at me dreamily.

The princess is a seventeen years old teenager after all. It's totally normal to be interested in guys. Especially when her hobby includes reading romantic love novels.

"Well. Heaps of influential people from the Empire and the neighboring countries are attending the Archduke's party. I'm sure a lot of them will be interested in you, Princess Lia."

I paused.

"The more important question is, will they catch your interest? Hmmm... Considering your standard...."