Chapter 12 - The red haired magician

Gregory POV

It was almost 3 weeks since we arrived at the border city of Mora of the South Kingdom. I'm currently in an old mansion modified as the army headquarters near the border between South Kingdom and Hura Kingdom.

The enemy had launched few attacks and raids every now and then. But they always retreated before it got too serious.

It was strange.

It was like they were just testing the waters. Or like they were buying time to prepare for something big.

Whatever.

I'll just leave it to South Kingdom's Army supreme commander and Lucas Maxwell to deal with them.

The bigger problem here was, there isn't any news yet about Allyssa.

I had planted the elite squad members of the Night Rose throughout the South Kingdom - every city, every town, every village, everywhere! I ordered them to quickly notify me if they have any clue concerning Allyssa.

Yet I have not hear any word from them.

Knock! Knock!

"Enter."

"Vice Commander Gregory!"

Noah entered the room and saluted me.

"It's just us. There's no need for formality, Noah."

Noah Goffield was 4 years older than me. He was my aide as well as my senior. When I first joined the Night Rose, I was previously assigned to work under him by father's order.

"You have to get used to it, Gregory. One day, you'll be our commander."

"Whatever. Give me the report."

If there was no urgent news, it means there's no news. This reporting is just a formality.

"We have not yet find any clue on Lady Allyssa whereabout."

As expected of my cunning twin sister. Even the professional elites of Night Rose are not able to track her. But did she know that she is in a grave danger?!

"That... My lord, there's one more thing..."

Noah face was serious. I gestured him to continue.

"We detected suspicious movements near the vicinity of the villages and towns, My lord."

"What do you mean?"

"On the surface, they seemed to be a group of bandits hiding in the forests nearby the settlements. But, their movements were organized, they are most likely the soldiers from Hura. Looks like they are waiting for a signal for an ambush."

"Ha! So this is the reason for those half-ass attacks!"

I knew they're up to something!

"If the villages and town are under attack when majority of military forces are focused on war at the frontline, it will be catastrophic."

"I believe that's what they're aiming for, Lord Gregory. We are currently observing their movement stealthily."

"Good. Notify everyone here for an emergency strategic meeting!!"

This is urgent! If it is what I think it is... we'll be in dire situation if we don't quickly take action.

"As your command, My L-"

KABOOMMMM!!!

A loud explosion deafened my eardrums.

"Damn! What the f*ck was that?"