Chapter 11 - For the greater good

I sipped the light tea that Sarah prepared. It was a little bit warm.

I didn't know why I told that to Oscar, Sarah and Glen. But these people are my trusted people, and as ridiculous as everything I told them, I know that they will never think badly of me.

Everything I told them is the truth, anyway.

Well, it will be the truth.

I knew it since I read the novel. The novel started right about now.

The South Kingdom's war.

Few months ago, there was a rumor that the Pagan Kingdom of Hura was preparing for a large-scale war, much larger than all the wars before this. Hearing this, the South Kingdom King decreed an edict.

"All family must send a member of the family to participate in the war. All aristocratic families must send a family member as representative and a squad of its elite soldiers."

Traditionally, the heads of the aristocratic families or its heir will be sent off to war. After all, most of the aristocratic heads and the heirs are the commander of their own families' soldiers.

But the heir of Abraham viscounty was a coward. He didn't want to participate in war. However, not sending a member of the family was considered a treason, so Viscount Abraham summoned his barely 18 years old illegitimate daughter from the Magic Tower to replace his son in the war.

"I had raised you up and even sent you to learn magic in the Magic Tower. Be grateful in everything I've given you. So, go and make yourself useful!"

That's how the story started.

"Ally."

Oscar called my name. He was still leisurely playing with my long black hair.

"When are you going to explain about the letter I just sent?"

I knew Oscar did not forget.

I exhaled and explained to him.

"The Kingdom of Hura had just declared an all out war against us. Its forces was five, no, ten times larger than the previous wars."

"I know. That's why I'm asking you!"

As expected of the Magic Tower's people. They are fast in getting information. I knew it beforehand because of the novel. By now, only the South Kingdom knows this. The Empire will be notified tomorrow.

"Unlike the small-scaled, skirmish wars before, it will be a devastating year-long war that robbed the lives of countless soldiers and innocent citizens, turning the beautiful South Kingdom into living hell."

Oscar narrowed his eyes hearing my foreboding words.

In the novel, The South Kingdom and the Empire had underestimated the Huran forces.

Instead of the honorable heads-on war, the Huran used underhanded guerilla method to destroy villages and towns. They pillaged and killed innocent citizens. They even had some secret weapons to deal great damages to the South Kingdom and the Empire's forces.

"I love the South Kingdom, so I wouldn't want that to happen."

The South Kingdom is similar to the Mediterranean countries I saw in TV back in my previous life. It was paradise on earth. I love spending my summers there.

"I don't understand..."

"The Night Rose is the Empire's hidden strength. The Emperor would never let them participate in a war outside of the Empire, unless it somehow threatened the Empire. South Kingdom is the country that is loyal to the Empire, however, it is just another country. Sending the Empire's strongest army, Silver Wolf, was already an enormous sign of its support."