Chapter 22 - "It's a date, then!"

Why did I forget about that?

Well, when I thought about it carefully, there were two reasons.

Firstly, as a 30-something old lady at heart, being confessed by a thirteen years old boy who you grew up with, did not really count as a real confession.

It was more like when a six-year-old daughter telling her father that she'd marry him when she grows up. It was like when a little brother telling his older sister who's been taking care of him that he loves her so much that he'll stay with her forever.

It was cute. It was heartwarming. But that kind of affection will pass when they get older. When it does, they'll only be embarrassed thinking of the childish thing they did.

That was why I just let it slipped off my mind.

Secondly, it was a very clumsy and childish confession. I could not take it seriously. He shouted, and he stuttered and then he ran away. So I didn't think of it as a confession at all.

Honestly, it was cute though.

"Leave me alone, Avie. I told you already, I'm not going."

"But it's a waste if you don't come with me! You're smarter than me, you could be the best student! But, since you don't want to, I'll study hard on your behalf, too! I'll become smarter than you!"

"Sure. Do whatever you want."

"Lyssa! I-i'm serious! Even though I really don't want to be away from you. T-this is for our future! Lyssa, uh, umm, listen! I love you! I, I will marry you one day! I'll be someone worthy of you!! S-so! I'll work hard!! Bye!"

Little Avery ran off with a red face after shouting those lines.

That was how it went.

"Haa. Haha... Hahaha!!"

I couldn't help but laugh as I remembered what happened.

"Ha... You did, didn't you?"

I pressed my hurting stomach to stop myself from laughing.

Avery looked at me with a complicated face.

I wiped a small tear at the corner of my eye with my finger. I was laughing too much.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh. I just remembered how cute you were back then."

"Err... Lyssa... Weren't you angry at me?"

"Eh, no way. Why would I?!"

"But... Why didn't you even greet me at the tea party? You passed me by as if I was a stranger... I thought you... hated me..."

Avery let his gaze down.

"About that day... ermm.. uh... Something happened. So my mind was preoccupied with it. So, I wasn't paying attention to the surrounding at all. It has nothing to do with you. I swear."

I better explain to him roughly what happened that time.

"Really? You didn't purposely ignore me?"

"No! Of course not. I would neve-"

"HAH!!"

With a big sigh, Avery collapsed. He crouched on the floor with his shoulders dropped, covering his face with both hands.

"Ah... I'm so relieved."

I bent my hip to get a closer look at him.

"So, you did not contact me at all because you thought I was angry at you?"