Chapter 46 - The troubled Alice Lombard.

"Miss Alice. Uh, Miss Alice? Did you hear what I just said?"

The twenty-something-year-old man cautiously asked.

I lazily lifted my head that was resting on the office desk.

"What is it, Donald? I wasn't paying attention."

I asked him flatly. To be honest, I wasn't in the mood to talk with anyone right now.

That's why I've been cooping myself in the office of Lombard Trading company.

The man, Donald, hesitantly open his mouth and closed it back.

He is a talented commoner who works as the assistant manager of the main branch of the company.

He's honest and diligent. But the father of two tends to be nervous and awkward. I've known him for almost five years now.

Of course, he has no idea of my real identity. Nor did he know the real deal behind Lombard Trading Company.

For him, he is working in a successful trading company and I am the daughter of the founder; Mr. Norman Lombard.

The normal employees I hired do not know that the company was actually owned and operated by a secret organization under the Night Rose.

Donald nervously spoke.

"Norman-sama just hired a new Chief Operations Manager. I think the person will come anytime soon."

Ah.

If Count Andrew Goffield a.k.a Norman Lombard 'hired' someone, it must be someone from the special unit of the Night Rose Information and Intelligence Bureau.

The new members of the Night Rose's special unit are first assigned a job at the trading company as part of their training. They usually disguised as a normal employee, and work as if it was their real job, while taking care of the 'behind-the-scene' tasks as well.

Some are working temporarily for a couple of years. But many were assigned permanent jobs, as a cover-up for their real occupation.

But this time, the position offered to the Night Rose member is high.

"What about it? Don't report every trivial thing to me, Donald."

I rested my head absentmindedly on the desk again.

"Don't bother me. I'm resting. Leave me alone."

"But..."

Donald paused before continuing.

"The desk you're sitting on was supposed to belong to the Chief Operations Manager. And err... This office room, too."

Oh.

"So, I think it would be better for you to rest at your father's, er, the President's office."

"Haa... Whatever. If the new manager comes, I'll welcome him here. You can go now."

I sighed.

Without even lifting my lazy head, I idly signaled him to leave.

I heard the door closing.

After that, the silence returned to the room.

Urgh.

Now that I'm alone, all kinds of thoughts rushed into my head again.

It's been a week since the Victory Banquet at the palace.

It's been a week. But, I can't stop thinking about it.