Chapter 26.5 - A father's concerns (side story 1 - 3 parts)

Part 1

Duke Fredrick Reynold was a man of a few words.

As he grew older, even though the handsome and charismatic appearance from his younger days remained, he was known for being a stoic man with a cold demeanor. He was even described as an emotionless duke as if nothing in the world can move him.

Who would've thought that the cold and emotionless duke was in huge distress right now?

The duke sat on with his elbows on the desk, and his chin rested on his intertwined fingers. He was staring at the things that were laid on his desk, right in front of him.

There were two navy blue hardcover cards in front of him. They were the size of a typical daily planner. Of course, he knew exactly what they were. In the Empire, those particular cards only serve one purpose. There were words written on the card in golden ink.

"Marriage proposal. Haaa..."

Duke Fredrick read the words out loud and sighed. What concerned him more was from whom the proposals were.

The Ducal House of Divan. The Ducal House of Maxwell. Both were one of the most powerful families in the entire Empire, rivaling his own family. The head of Divan House is the current prime minister. On the other hand, the head of Maxwell House is the current Commander of the Empire's Sword, who holds the strongest military power in the Helios Empire.

And apparently, both of their heirs showed great interest in Allyssa. And it seemed like they were quite close with each other. Duke Fredrick received occasional reports from Glen, the knight he assigned to Allyssa. Apparently, today, they are going out to the commoners' bazaar together.

Well, Allyssa's seventeen. It's about time.

The duke thought to himself.

It's like it was only yesterday that he held the tiny baby girl in his arms. And it's like it was only yesterday that she threw a tantrum and ran away from home. It's like it was only yesterday he made a promise to his little girl.

Looking at these two formal marriage proposals, he couldn't help but remember the day he made the important promise with Allyssa.

"Daddy, I don't want it! What marriage proposal? What engagement? I'm only a twelve years old kid! I don't want it!! Throw it away!!"

Allyssa, who only cunningly called him 'daddy' at her own convenience whined and stomped her feet. The duke, being weak at the word 'daddy' coming from his adorable daughter, coaxed her affectionately.

"Okay, dear Allyssa. Let's throw it away, okay?"

"Never get me engaged to someone without my knowledge, okay, daddy?!"

Her gleaming big eyes staring pitifully at him melted his heart.

"Okay, dear. I promise."

It was right after the Divan heir enrolled in the Academy. Little Allyssa who often sneaked into his office saw the formal marriage proposal card on his desk. He was originally going to ignore it, but Allyssa found it first.

Even before receiving the proposal, there were already talks about the engagement between Allyssa and Avery Divan. They matched perfectly in regards to their age difference. Both of them were the children of the two most influential Ducal houses in the Empire. They also were very close with each other since infancy. Even the Emperor encouraged the engagement. Duke Fredrick had been ignoring it.

He was never fond of the Divans anyway. Especially the Divan head, Duke Nicolas Divan. He was a close friend of his wife, the former princess Arianna when they were younger. And he was well-known to harbor romantic feelings toward Arianna before. Nicolas was the one who opposed their marriage the most! Duke Fredrick maintain a good relationship with the Divan on the outside for the sake of his wife and the Emperor, but in his heart, he really disliked him.