Nightmares (OLD)

Nightmares were...well. A common thing for children. They could be ridiculous. Absolutely absurd. Or even silly and eventually become dreams. But nightmares could also be terrifying. Traumatizing. The things in the back of your mind that scare you. Trauma fueled the nightmares into something truly horrible.

And trauma wasn't a new enemy of The Afton Household. It was the ghost that haunted the house, and any inhabitants of it. As if the dreaded house was cursed to have the people living in it become traumatized.

Helpy tossed and turned, clutching his blanket and whimpering like a scared puppy. He was having a nightmare, but not a silly one. He was turning 8 years old soon, but he still felt scared...of all his past experiences. Glitchtrap. Scraptrap. And that wretched serial killer Vanny.

In his mind, he felt the swing of the blade, the slash sounded like thunder. Helpy had screeched and ran through the cold and dark pizzeria, trying to find a way out. Vanny just laughed. "YOU CAN'T HIDE, LITTLE BOY~" She sang.

And he didn't try to hide. He was trying to run. He ran as fast as his little legs could carry him, but it's as if the world itself was forcing himself to go slower and slower the faster he tried to run. But then, he was grabbed by his legs. He looked down and screamed at the top of his lungs.

It was a purple rabbit, boils and tendrils covering its body. It was rotting and horrifying. The rabbit cackled before tugging at Helpy's leg, forcing him down onto the ground. The rabbit was his father's father. Or in this current form: Springtrap...just with a terrifying edge.

"I ALWAYS COME BACK."

"G-Get away from me!!!" Helpy screeched as he tried to kick away the hand, but its grip was ironclad.

Springtrap cackled before opening its jaw to reveal it was filled with razor sharp teeth. It then lunged at Helpy and-

Helpy woke up with a loud cry and scream, shooting up in his bed. He panted after he felt his lungs hurt from the screaming. But then he jumped when he heard something fell and began to sob, hiding under his blanket. His eyes filled to the brim with tears, he looked up and saw only the orange fabric of the blanket, but it was slightly see through from underneath. No sign of any monster.

The little bear cub whimpered and whimpered before peeking out and looking from side to side, and up and down. But when he looked down, he saw something in pieces. Many plastic pieces. He must've accidentally knocked down one of his LEGO's.

Helpy sighed in pure relief, but wrapped the blanket around his little body, breathing in and out, but his breath was shaky. He tried to remember what he and his father's therapist said. Just keep breathing in and out, and go to your happy place when you're scared. Helpy closed his eyes as he kept breathing in and out, trying to find his happy place. After a few more deep breaths, he opened his eyes and felt himself become calmer. His body was still shaking though.

"Y-You're ok, H-Helpy." He whimpered to himself as he cuddled back up on his bed. "Y-You're ok."

But after many attempts to shut his eyes and fall asleep, he heard a slightly calming noise outside. Rain. He didn't mind rain. It was wind and thunder he didn't like. He then remembered. It was April, so it was a rainy month.

However, despite this calming noise, Helpy knew it wasn't at all that simple. He continued to try and fall asleep, but nothing was working. He eventually gave up, and stood from his bed, clutching his blanket around him as he walked out into the living room and then to his father's room. He checked the clock nearby.

'10:25'

His father could still be awake.

So, Helpy reached for the doorknob and gently turned it, pushing it open to see his father on his laptop, seeming really bored as bright lights on his screen flashed. "This commercial is garbage. It's not gonna convince people we're safe."

"D...Dad...?" Helpy whispered as he stepped inside, feeling safe as he felt the soft carpet under his little feet.

Mike turned and then tilted his head. "Helpy? What are you doing up, little guy? It's really late. And past your bedtime." He said as he closed his laptop, set it aside and walked over.

Helpy sniffled, wiping his eyes as his father knelt down, so in an attempt to feel even safer, he hugged him.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hey. It's ok. It's ok. What's wrong, kiddo?" He asked, rubbing his son's fluffy back in circles.

"I-I had a bad dream." He sniffled and hugged his father tighter. "A-A really bad dream!"

"Another nightmare?" Mike asked as he scooped up the bear cub into his arms and then sat down on his bed, sitting the 8 year old next to him.

Helpy nodded, sniffling as he wiped his eyes with his blanket. "R-Rabbit lady and y-your dumb papa chased me all around the p-pizzeria! Y-Your dad then grabbed my leg and b-bit my head! I-It hurt so bad I-I died!!" He sobbed, hugging Mike even tighter.

Mike sighed gently before holding his son close. "Helpy. It was just a bad dream. None of it was real."

"B-But it felt real, p-papa." Helpy said, looking up at him.

"I know. I know it did." He whispered. "But trust me, I know how that feels. I still get nightmares, kiddo."

"Y-You do...?"

"Yeah, but I'm able to handle them a little better cause I'm a grownup." He chuckled a little before putting his son on his lap. "I also had nightmares all the time as a kid. But my mom always told me none of them were real and I didn't need to be scared."

"Y-You must've been brave." Helpy said with a small smile, beginning to calm down.

"Brave and stupid." Mike said with a soft smile, wiping away Helpy's tears with his thumb. "My nightmares were...usually about...something I...don't like to remember." He said as he tried not to remember the Bite of 83, but he did, remembering his brother's cries. He wiped his own eyes before looking down at Helpy. "But trust me, you'll be alright. And I will be too. Your nightmares can't hurt you." He then grinned playfully. "Especially not on your old man's watch!" He exclaimed as he began tickling the little guy.

Helpy began to laugh that cute giggle, waving his arms around to get his father away. "D-Dad!!!" He exclaimed while laughing before his father stopped.

"Wanna sleep in here for the night? I'm not gonna be doing anything other than look at dumb ads for Freddy's."

Helpy smiled and cuddled with his blanket and on his father's bed. Mike tucked him in with another blanket and fluffed up his pillow.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"I love you, Papa."

"Love you too, kiddo. Get some sleep."