𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

Warren settled into a new routine over the next few days

Warren settled into a new routine over the next few days. A routine which, surprisingly, included Percy Jackson.

She and Annabeth had taken it upon themselves to show him the ropes around camp. Annabeth helped teach him Greek in the mornings, and he seemed to be a fast learner. Which was good for her. Warren, however, wasn't so lucky. She was tasked with the more physical aspects of camp, which Percy did not excel at.

He wasn't as strong as the Ares kids. Every time he'd stepped into the wrestling ring Clarisse smashed him flat, promising "There's more where that came from."

Percy couldn't shoot an arrow half as well as the Apollo campers, nor run as fast as the wood nymphs. The only thing he could do was row a canoe.

"That's great, Jackson," Warren had said. "I'm sure you can just paddle the next Minotaur to death."

He retaliated by smacking her with an oar, and she kicked him in the stomach.

On Thursday afternoon, three days after he'd arrived at camp, Percy had his first sword fighting lesson. Warren had been scheduled for Pegasus flying that day and was walking back to her cabin when she heard the telltale clang of swords. By the look of things they had been at it for a while. A large group of campers, mostly cabin eleven, had gathered around to watch the fight.

Percy and Luke were at arms, parrying and thrusting against the other's blows. Warren was shocked to see the younger boy holding his own.

Luke was one of the best swordsmen the camp had seen in centuries, and he was rarely evenly matched. But Percy hit the base of Luke's sword and twisted, pushing down until the weapon was forced out of his hands. It clattered to the ground while everyone looked on in awe. Warren had practiced that move and knew firsthand how difficult it was. How in Hades had Percy gotten it on the first try?

"Um, I'm sorry," he said to fill the silence.

Luke was too stunned to speak for a moment, but then a smile broke across his face. "Sorry? By the gods, Percy, why are you sorry? Show me that again!"

Percy looked reluctant, but gave it another go. Quickly Luke had him disarmed, looking a little disappointed.

"Beginner's luck?" Warren called out.

Luke caught her eye and grinned crookedly. "Maybe. But I'd like to see what he could do with a balanced sword."

"I'd like to see what he could do against me," she said, her lips curling up at the corners.

Percy paled slightly.

"Take it easy on him, Jawbreaker," Luke said, clapping her on the shoulder as he exited the ring.

"Jawbreaker?" Percy asked him weakly.

Luke nodded with a smirk. "Oh, yeah. She's fractured, what, nineteen jaws? That's why Chiron doesn't let her spar hand to hand anymore."