𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮

The rest of the summer seemed strange because it was so normal

The rest of the summer seemed strange because it was so normal. The daily activities continued: archery, rock climbing, Pegasus riding. They played capture the flag (though everyone avoided Zeus's Fist.) They sang at the campfire and raced chariots and played practical jokes on the other cabins.

Warren spent a lot of time playing with Mrs. O'Leary, but she would still howl at night when she got lonely for her old master.

And on days when they had the time, Warren and Percy would sneak off and spend the afternoon in their treehouse.

He dragged his fingers lazily through her hair one hot day in July. Warren smiled at the feeling, listening to the soft vinyl spinning in the background. She touched the base of her throat, where the black pearl necklace shimmered in the sun, back where it belonged.

"You know," Percy said. "We never named this place."

"Because it doesn't need a name."

"Every club needs a name, Warren."

She looked up at him. "What are you, six years old?"

"Seven, actually."

"Oh, my apologies."

"I'm serious, though," Percy said. "How about...the Sky Sanctum?"

"Absolutely not."

"You pick something then."

"I don't want to."

"Warren, c'mon."

"Fine," she huffed. "We can call it...um, The Watchtower."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "The Watchtower?"

"Yeah."

He pondered it for a moment, then nodded. "I like it."

"Glad that's settled."

Warren closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of sun on her skin and Percy's fingers in her hair. It was silent for a moment, save for the sound of cicadas in the trees. Then Percy paused.

"Do you think we need a secret password too?"

Warren groaned, but couldn't suppress her smile. "You're such a dork."

"A dork who you lov—" she slapped a hand over Percy's mouth.

"Don't make me regret it, Jackson."

He pulled her hand away and kissed her, just once— soft and sweet.

"Never," he promised.

Things with Warren and Annabeth were still tense following their fight in the Labyrinth. Every time she tried to bring up Luke, Annabeth would shut her out, storm away, or change the subject. But when it reached the last day of summer, Warren couldn't stand it any longer. She found Annabeth sitting on the front steps of the Big House.