𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙤

The city high rises melted away and transitioned into the sprawling countryside of northern Long Island

The city high rises melted away and transitioned into the sprawling countryside of northern Long Island. Warren and Percy zoomed past orchards and wineries and fresh fruit stands. But it was hard to appreciate the beauty, because every mile closer to camp was a mile closer to the troubling reality that Luke was still on the loose. And that no one had seen Nico di Angelo since he disappeared last winter.

This was not how Warren expected her reunion with Percy to go, spoiled by girls and monsters and problems that never seemed to go away. Today was supposed to be a good day. It was supposed to be fun and romantic and not at all like this.

On impulse, Warren pulled over to the shoulder of the road. They were still several miles from camp, surrounded by nothing but trees and farmland.

"Why are we stopping?" Percy asked.

"Because," Warren said, killing the engine. "I had an idea."

"Well we're in the middle of nowhere...please don't say it's to murder me."

"No, barnacle brain. I want to teach you to drive my bike."

"Oh, great. A murder suicide."

"Percy," Warren groaned.

"You can't be serious," he said. "A girl almost scratched your paint job and you said you'd 'unzip her like a skin suit.' I don't even know what that means! And you want me to drive it?"

"Yes."

"Who are you and what have you done with my girlfriend?"

Warren rolled her eyes. "Come on, I know you want to try it."

Percy looked at the gleaming black machine. "I mean, yeah, but..."

"I'm not going to let you crash," she assured. "I just want to do one fun thing today. Please."

"It's no dinner and a movie," Percy mused.

"Overrated." Warren hopped off the bike and then climbed on the back, using her body weight to push Percy into the driver's seat. "Besides," she said, "bikers are hot."

"I agree," he grinned. "So...how do I do this?"

Warren pointed to a small red mechanism on the handlebar. "That's the kill switch, the bike won't start unless it's on. So flip that."

"Okay," Percy said hesitantly, hitting the switch.

"Perfect. Now turn the key and then hit the start button."

He did as he was told and the bike roared to life. Even in idle the engine rumbled like a wild beast. Warren showed him the clutch, the break, and the throttle, then explained how to shift gears. Percy tried his best to keep up.

"Alright," she said. "You're ready."

"Um, I don't know about that."

"Just release the clutch slowly and go easy on the throttle."