𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣

Much to their displeasure, Grover and Percy were elected to carry the Oracle back up to the attic

Much to their displeasure, Grover and Percy were elected to carry the Oracle back up to the attic. When Warren moved to help, Chiron stopped her.

"I think it best that you head to the infirmary," he said.

"Chiron, I'm fine," she insisted.

He lifted a hand to her forehead and grimaced. "Warren, you're burning up."

"It's nothing," she took a step back.

"That may very well be, but I'm not willing to risk it. Your safety is, and will always be, my primary concern."

"And I appreciate that, Chiron. But I'm really fine."

The centaur sighed. "You do realize what is at stake, should you lose—"

"Yeah," Warren interrupted. "I'm a walking self destruct button. I get it."

"Perhaps this is a conversation we should finish in private."

"There's nothing left to say," she shook her head.

"That's hardly true. Come, please. I'll make us some tea," Chiron said, guiding her by the shoulder in the direction of the Big House. Warren wanted to shake him off, but she didn't have the energy. All of her adrenaline had gone, leaving her drained and tired.

Once they were back at the Big House, Warren slumped into one of the kitchen chairs and Chiron put the kettle on.

"Now then," he set a mug in front of her. "Have you been practicing the techniques I suggested to you?"

"Yes."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Have they been helpful?"

Warren sighed. "I don't know, I guess. I haven't exploded or anything."

"That's good," Chiron said. "But today was a bit of a near miss, wouldn't you say?"

"I've never had any issues controlling my powers before, but now..."

"But now it is not so easy."

"I don't know what to do," Warren admitted. "They're a part of me, I can't just shut them off."

"And you should never be expected to," Chiron agreed. "However, learning to control them is imperative. For your sake, and, well..."

"For the sake of Olympus, yeah. I know."

He set a hand to her shoulder. "A hero's burden is a heavy one."

"Tell me what to do, Chiron. Please," Warren said.

"You know that I cannot. Your decisions must remain your own, that's the Fates' design."

"Well, their design sucks."