𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙭

Percy stepped into the waves and looked out at the water

"Um, Dad?" he called. "How's it going?"

"Dude!" Warren whispered. "We're in a hurry!"

"We need your help," Percy called a little louder. "We need to get to that ship, like, before we get eaten and stuff, so..."

At first, nothing happened. Waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. Then, about a hundred yards out to sea, four white lines appeared on the surface. They moved fast toward the shore, like claws ripping through the ocean. As they neared the beach, the surf burst apart and the heads of four white stallions reared out of the waves.

Tyson caught his breath. "Fish ponies!"

He was right. As the creatures pulled themselves onto the sand, Warren saw that they were only horses in the front; their back halves were iridescent fish bodies, with glistening scales and rainbow tail fins.

"Hippocampi!" Annabeth said. "They're beautiful." The nearest one whinnied in appreciation and nuzzled Annabeth.

"We'll admire them later," Warren said. "Come on!"

"There!" a voice screeched behind them. "Bad children out of cabins! Snack time for lucky harpies!"

Five of them were fluttering over the top of the dunes— plump little hags with pinched faces and talons and feathery wings too small for their bodies. They reminded Warren of miniature cafeteria ladies who'd been crossbred with dodo birds. They weren't very fast, thank the gods, but they were vicious if they caught you.

"Tyson!" Percy said. "Grab a duffel bag!"

He was still staring at the hippocampi with his mouth hanging open.

"Tyson!"

"Uh?"

"Come on!"

With a little help, Percy got him moving. They gathered the bags and mounted their steeds. Poseidon must've known Tyson was one of the passengers, because one hippocampus was much larger than the others— just right for carrying a Cyclops.

Warren shivered as she wrapped her arms around the beasts glossy, white neck. It didn't have fur like a regular horse, so it felt like she was holding a cold fish.

"Giddyup!" Percy said. His hippocampus turned and plunged into the waves; the rest followed right behind. Salty water misted Warren's face and dampened her hair.

The harpies cursed at them and wailed for their snacks to come back, but the hippocampi raced over the water at the speed of Jet Skis. The harpies fell behind, and soon the shore of Camp Half Blood was nothing but a dark smudge.

Warren half-wondered if she'd ever see the place again. But right then she had other problems. The cruise ship was now looming in front of them— their ride toward Florida and the Sea of Monsters.