Fear The Storm

Charlotte’s pager went off and she sighed deeply. Phil chuckled and kissed her on the cheek.
       “I will be waiting for you at home.” He whispered in her ear. She blushed as she jumped up from her seat.
       “Got to get back to work!” She chirped as she rushed out of the room causing Phil to chuckle again.
       By the time Charlotte got back to Tony Stark’s room she was ready to get home. She walked into the room and saw that Tony had been removed from his armor and was in a hospital gown. She snickered as she looked at him scowling at the gown. He hated the hospital gowns and usually wore a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. The nurses that worked with code blue situations tended to ignore what the patients wanted because they were usually criminals.
       Charlotte giggled and Tony’s head snapped up.
       “I suppose you think this is funny.” He snapped at her and she doubled over and giggled again. Finally she straightened and took sympathy on him. She poked her head out into the hall and brightened when she saw Tina.
       Tina was a new nurse that had just started this past week. She was fresh out of school and was stunning in whatever she wore. She was still getting into the groove of things and had been bounced around to several spots in the hospital but nothing had stuck yet. Charlotte got an idea.
       “Hey Tina!” Charlotte chirped to the young woman. “I think I know the perfect thing for you.” The young woman walked over to where Charlotte was standing. Charlotte grinned at her.
       “Your going to learn how to take care of a code blue.” Charlotte told her. Tina’s eyes went wide.
       “Are you sure about this?” She asked Charlotte as she was pulled into Tony’s room.
       “Yup!” Charlotte replied as she deposited a pile of clothes in the nurse’s arms. “First lesson, Tony doesn’t like hospital gowns. If it isn’t going to bother his injuries I keep a pair of sweats and a t-shirt for him.” Charlotte gave Tina a little shove towards the hospital bed.
       “He has some broken ribs so he is going to need help getting into those.” Charlotte said as she picked up the clipboard and wrote Tina’s name down as the night nurse.
       Tina looked at Tony uncertainly. Tony looked at Charlotte in shock then grinned at Tina devilishly.
       “Don’t worry Nurse Tina.” He grinned at her. “I won’t bite unless you ask me to.” Tina blushed a bright pink and turned to Charlotte.
       “Down boy.” Charlotte scolded as she put the clipboard back and turned to level a serious look at Tony. “She is here to take care of you. Not the other way around.” Turning to Tina she gave the nurse a reassuring smile.
       “I’m going home. I will check in on him tomorrow. He knows where everything is better than any of the nurses so he is the one to ask if there is something you don’t know. Tony Stark is your only priority tonight.” She nodded at Tina’s confused expression. Charlotte turned to Tony.
       “I am not coming back tonight so if you want to put up a fuss, she will sedate you. Night all” With a final smile Charlotte walked out of the room and went for her jacket and purse.
       “All taken care of?” Saundra asked, handing Charlotte her stuff from behind the counter. Charlotte beamed at her and nodded.
       “I put Tina in there with him. I think she might be a good Code Blue nurse and it will keep Mr. Stark occupied. She was a slow temper and quick mind and doesn’t take crap. She should be fine.” She slipped her jacket on and threw her purse over her shoulder. “I am going home to get some sleep. I will call tomorrow to see how Mr. Stark is getting along, but I am not coming in. If he becomes a problem, sedate him.”
       Four minutes after leaving it began to rain. Charlotte groaned as she zipped up her jacket and began to walk faster. By the time she got home it was pouring and she was soaked to the skin. She could feel a chill trying to creep its way under her skin as she unlocked the door and hurried inside.
       Placing her purse in the hook by the door she took off her jacket and draped it on the door handle.
       Sneaking up the stairs and down the hall to the bedroom she shared with her husband, Charlotte paused in the doorway to see her husband lying asleep in their bed. She smiled softly and entered the room. Moving quietly about the room, Charlotte pulled out a pair of lace underwear and one of Phil’s plain white t-shirts. Slipping into the bathroom, she took a quick shower and dried off. Slipping on the shirt and underwear she had gotten to sleep in, Charlotte slipped back into the bedroom.
       Lifting the blankets, she slipped into bed next to her husband. Sighing deeply, she curled up on her side and looked out the window. There was a flash of light, followed by a loud crash of thunder. Charlotte jumped and bit back a small gasp. She didn’t mind rain storms but thunder and lightning had scared her since she was a little girl.
       She felt Phil move a bit behind her and soon his arm came around her waist and he pulled her close against him. He knew she didn’t like storms.
       “I’m here” He whispered in her ear. She turned in his arms to face him and buried her face into his chest. She took a deep breath, breathing in the smell of him and relaxed instantly.
       “You smell nice.” She murmured sleepily causing him to chuckle. He kissed her head, causing her to turn her face up to his. Their lips met and that is all of the storm that Charlotte heard for the rest of the night.