Phone Battles And Rescue Plans...

“No! I don’t want to look through all the other dinner options! I already know what I want served! I just want to tell you and move on to the next battle… I mean… phone call!” 
        Charlotte’s irritated voice rang trough the apartment as Phil walked through the door a few weeks later. He grinned at the sound. She was adorable when she was mad. He set his briefcase on the floor in the hall and hung his keys on the key rack. Walking towards the living room, he peeked around the corner and saw Charlotte on the recliner, her feet tucked up underneath her and a wedding planner book on her lap, along with several other magazines, notebooks, pens and colored markers. 
        She had finally decided that if she was going to plan this with him, everything had to be just so and from the scowl on her face, easy was not going to be part of that plan. 
        “Then I guess I’m just going to have to find someone who can! Good bye!” Charlotte growled out into the phone and hung up, placing the phone on the stand next to her chair. With a deep sigh of frustration, she slowly placed her hands between herself and the wedding planner and shoved it off her lap and onto the floor. It hit with a thud, scattering papers everywhere. Phil resisted the urge to chuckle and walked into the living room.
        “I wasn’t aware that the floor was a part of our plans.” He teased her as he walked behind her chair and started to massage her shoulders. 
        “I bet you didn’t know about the matches, lighter fluid, or burn barrel either.” She grumbled, glaring at the planner on the floor in front of her. She moaned softly when Phil found a tense spot and started working at it. She tipped her head back and smiled softly when Phil not only kissed her but started nibbling on her chin, making his way down her jaw line. She giggled when the scraggly beard he was sporting, brushed up against her sensitive skin. 
                “You need a shave Mr. Coulson.” She teased, pulling on his beard a bit. 
        “I think I may be in need of some assistance in that department. I have not had a shower available to me for the last week. You are probably going to need to take a weed whacker to get this stuff off.” His words sent Charlotte into a fit of giggles. 
        “I will see what I can do about that.” She giggled as she got to her feet and led him to their bathroom. Starting the water in the shower, Charlotte turned around to see Phil struggling with his shirt. 
        She walked over and gently helped him with his shirt. His ribs were covered in dark purple bruises. 
        “Oh baby!” Charlotte whispered as she ran her fingers lightly over his ribs, then leaned down and placed a soft kiss on top of the worse of them. She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him gently. Phil hugged her back and for the longest time they stood there, just hugging each other. 
        Phil got showered and shaved. He smiled at Charlotte through the mirror and chuckled when she blushed pale pink. There was no doubt in his mind; she was the perfect woman for him. 
                        ***           ***           ***           ***
        “Charlotte. You need to wake up now. We need to get you out of here.”  Phil’s voice murmured and cut through Charlotte’s dreams of the past. Her eyelids fluttered open and she groaned. Her head was killing her. She bit back the whimper of pain that followed. She looked up to see a concerned frown on Phil’s face. He knew she was in pain. There was no way for her to hide that fact from him.
        “Come on sweetheart” he leaned over and scooped her up in his arms, certain she would not be able to stand on her own. “Let’s get you to safety.” He whispered, kissing her forehead gently.
        Phil carried her out of the room and down the hall, stopping to look around the corners before turning them. A cold draft was coming from somewhere and it made Charlotte shiver and her head hurt even more. She burrowed her head deeper into Phil’s sweatshirt, the one she was now wearing. A blast of cold air made her gasp in shock. The hum of a jet plane was loud in her ears but, strangely enough, it was soothing.
        “Agent Coulson!” a familiar voice called out, the shock evident in his tone. Charlotte frowned a bit, and then winced at the pain it brought. What was he doing here?
        “Now is not the time Banner.” Phil warned Bruce as he approached the man. “I wanted you here because I want someone with her that she knows. Not a bunch of strangers.”
        “How is she?” Bruce asked as he accepted Charlotte’s limp body from Phil. He didn’t like how she looked. What had happened to her?
        Phil didn’t reply, he just leaned over and kissed Charlotte softly on the lips before straightening and looking Bruce dead in the eye.
        “Keep her safe” was all he said before he turned and walked away. Bruce watched him for a moment more before the pilot yelled at him that they needed to leave. Bruce turned and got back into the jet. He laid Charlotte down on a stretcher and covered her with a blanket and strapped her in. Sitting down next to the stretcher, Bruce brushed back the hair that had fallen in Charlotte’s face. She looked so pale and weak. He didn’t like the looks of the lump on her head.
        Charlotte moaned a bit and her eyes fluttered open for a moment. They rested on Bruce for a couple seconds before they slid closed again. A single tear slid down her face.
        When she woke up again, she was lying in a hospital bed in the infirmary on SHIELD helicarrier. Her head still hurt, but it was now a dull throb that was no stronger than a headache.
        Standing next to the bed was Nick Fury. He was looking down on her with his usual expression. She met his gaze for ten seconds before dropping hers to look at the blanket that was covering her.
        “I’m not leaving this helicarrier for a while, am I?” she asked in a whispering voice that could barely be heard.
        “I’m glad we have come to an understanding Mrs. Coulson.” Fury said before turning and leaving the room. Charlotte sighed deeply. She was back at square one.
        She smiled happily as something dawned on her. Phil was alive! She didn’t know when he would be home, but she now knew that he could come home.
        Someone walking through the door interrupted her thoughts. It was Tony and he looked panicked. Charlotte listened with half an ear as Tony fussed and worried over her. She laid back, a faint smile on her face, until it was noticed that she wasn’t paying attention to a word he was saying.
        Tony sat on the edge of the bed and took Charlotte’s hand in his, rubbing hers lightly.
        “I know you are in shock over all that has happened, but you have to be strong now, for your child’s sake. I will be here for you. We will get through this together.” He tried to assure Charlotte that everything was going to be alright. Charlotte smiled brightly at him and patted his hand softly.
        “Everything is going to be fine, Tony. Everything is going to be just fine.”