Alone

Her eyes began to close and she felt herself slipping away, but before her eyes closed she felt the hands at her throat being drawn away. Through the water she saw the figure in black being punched by Phil. The figure fell to the bathroom floor. Phil turned to the tub and the next thing she knew he was pulling her from the tub.
        The cold of the bathroom floor met her back and she could feel the water in her lungs coming up as he pressed on her chest. The gurgled up her throat and Phil rolled her to her side as the water came out. Sweet air rushed into her lungs and she coughed.
        Catching her breath, Charlotte looked, wide eyed, at the figure being hauled away by men in suits similar to the ones Phil wore. She looked up at Phil, who was watching her closely. Charlotte felt her body begin to tremble violently as a sob welled up in her chest and once they were alone she let it loose.
        Phil pulled Charlotte into his arms and held her close. He stroked her wet hair and whispered soothing words into her ear.
        “It’s ok. You’re safe. I won’t let anything happen to you. No one will hurt you. I have you. It’s ok.”  He murmured to her softly. After a couple minutes he stood and pulled her with him. Her legs wobbled and refused to let her stand for long. Phil leaned down and scooped Charlotte up into his arms. Carrying her into the bedroom, Phil wrapped her into a large towel and vigorously dried her off. After wrapping her hair in a towel, Phil grabbed a pair of her shorts and one of her tank tops.
        “Come on love. Stand up for a minute. You need to get some clothes on. We need to have you looked at by a medic.” Phil gently helped her get dressed and then sat her down on their bed. He looked her over. She had bruises across her throat and her eyes were red and blotchy from crying. Blood vessels in her eyes were ruptured from lack of oxygen. She still had a look of fear on her face that shook him to the core. This had been far too close. He should have kept someone here to guard her, but he let his defenses down too fast and he hated himself for it.
        “Everything is going to be ok. I promise.” Phil whispered in her ear as he helped her stand up and they started downstairs. Phil wrapped his arm around Charlotte’s waist as they made their way down the stairs, supporting her so she didn’t fall. He led her into the living room and sat her down on the couch.
        “A medic is going to look you over and make sure you are ok. I’m going to step out and handle everything else.” Phil looked into her eyes as he spoke. When panic welled up he spoke up again, talking softly and gently to her. He hated that she was so scared in her own home. It was not right.
        “I’m not going far. I will be close by and when the medic is done I will be back. Everything is going to be ok.” He stood up and turned to see a SHIELD medic standing in the doorway. He nodded to the medic and walked out of the room.
        Standing in the entrance hall of their house was Nick Fury.
        “What happened here Agent Coulson?” Fury demanded as he watched Phil approach. Phil was one of his best agents and he was good at what he did. He was hard to read most of the time, but now the anger showed clearly on his face. Phil walked up to Director Fury and began to explain the situation. When he was done, Fury sighed in frustration.
        “She needs to be put in protective custody Coulson.” Fury told his agent firmly. Phil shook his head. He had an assignment coming up that was going to have a huge effect on her and it was unavoidable. He knew that Charlotte was going to find all about him and his job, but he didn’t want her to be pulled into this until there was no other option.
        “Not yet. Not until…” Phil trailed off. He looked up at his boss. Fury looked firmly at him. Phil knew what was coming.
        “It has been moved to tomorrow night. You have tonight with her. Then it is time.” Director Fury turned and started to walk away. “I will see you tomorrow afternoon Agent Coulson.” He said over his shoulder.
        Phil stood there for a couple minutes. He hated that he was going to do this to her, but it had to be done. He turned and walked back to the living room. The medic met him in the hall and said that she would be fine. She has bruises on her throat that would probably make it sore for her to swallow for a couple days, but she should be fine.
        Phil saw them out and walked back through the now empty house toward where left his wife. Charlotte sat on the couch where he left her, her legs pulled up to her chest. She once again looked so small and defenseless. Phil winced as she turned those innocent eyes to him.
        Charlotte stood and walked across the room to him. He opened his arms and she walked right into them. He held her close as she wound her arms around his waist and hugged him tight.
        “Let’s go to bed.” Was all he told her as he led her through the house, shutting off lights as they went. They got upstairs and into their bedroom. Phil followed Charlotte in and shut and locked the door behind him.
        Charlotte stood in the middle of the room and turned to look at him. Phil took one look at her and couldn’t take it anymore. In three long strides, he had her in his arms and was crushing her to him. His lips found hers and he kissed her passionately, not stopping for breath for a long time. When she stilled he pulled back and chuckled. She had passed out again. He picked her up and carried her to their bed.
        As he laid her down, her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at him expectantly. He pulled her clothes off and after removing everything except his pants, joined her on the bed.
        Charlotte was aware of the urgent tone in his loving and wondered at it. She didn’t say anything however, because right then his lips found her ear lobe and she was lost.