Intruder

When he finally got out of the shower, Charlotte was fast asleep. She was exhausted from the day’s events and it felt good to be home and in her own bed.
        Phil watched her sleeping form for a few minutes before leaving the room and going downstairs. Sophie was in the kitchen with Trevor.
        Trevor sat at the table, across from where Phil usually sat, eating some fried chicken and potato salad. Sophie turned from the stove top and placed a plate at Phil’s spot as he sat down. Phil looked up at Sophie in surprise.
        “You know how to cook?” He asked, causing her to blush.
        “Dad didn’t like the kitchen because it was mom’s favorite place to be so I spent a lot of time in there as a kid.” She explained as she turned back to the stove and turned another piece of chicken in the skillet.
        “How is she?” Trevor asked Phil as he looked up to meet his eyes. Phil noticed Sophie had turned off the stove and came to sit down next to Trevor with a plate of her own.
        “She is sleeping right now.” Phil replied. “But she doesn’t like being grounded. It’s going to be a challenge to keep her in bed so she can recover.”
        The next day Phil was called back into work. They needed him to go somewhere and meet with someone. It was going to take a while and he probably wouldn’t be back for a week or so. Charlotte was used to his short explanations and quick departures, so she didn’t say anything other than goodbye when he left.
        The week had gone by and there was still no word about when Phil was coming home. Trevor was off duty and he had taken Sophie out to dinner that night. Charlotte was now able to take care of herself and, even though she was invited to dinner with Trevor and Sophie, she had decided to stay in.
        It was just starting to get dark when she finished washing the dishes and putting them away. Charlotte set the plates on the countertop. She couldn’t put those away without hurting herself yet. Walking up the stairs to her bedroom, she pulled out what she would need and went into the bathroom.
        Starting the water, Charlotte filled the tub and stepped inside. She stopped for a moment when she thought she heard a noise down stairs, but after a moment of silence she shrugged it off and sank down to her collarbone in the steaming water. The water was hot and soon her muscles began to relax. She closed her eyes in pleasure and sank to her chin.
        A noise at the door made her eyes fly open. There was a figure in black standing there by the tub.
        “He won’t be able to focus with his beloved wife dead.” A grating voice ground out. The figure knelt and, before Charlotte could scream, placed his hands at her throat and pushed her head under water. Charlotte scratched at his arms and tried to reach his face to hit him. She was running out of air fast and things were starting to go fuzzy.
        This is how it was going to end. How would they tell Phil? How would he take it? Charlotte wondered these things as she stopped struggling. She could feel everything. The hot temperature of the water and the pounding of her heart, the feel of the intruder’s hands around her throat, squeezing, told her that he wanted her to die fast so he could get out of there. Her throat burned along with her lungs. She couldn’t take it anymore and her mouth opened, allowing water to rush in and down to her lungs.