Peanut Butter

The weeks following Phil’s death were hard on Charlotte. Nobody wanted to leave her alone because all she did was cry. She would forget to eat and often just stayed in bed all day, claiming she had a headache. Nick Fury had her moved to the SHIELD helicarrier so she could be looked after better.
        Trevor moved into the house with Sophie and they were soon married. Charlotte sat in the front row, smiling at the happiness she saw in their eyes. She was hurt and not right from losing Phil. But she was so happy for Sophie and Trevor. She loved them dearly and was glad they had each other.
        Charlotte got better slowly. Her heartfelt tattered and ragged and everyone was very careful about what they said and did to and around her. No one wanted her to break down again like she did at first. She had been completely unresponsive no one thought she would make it.
        It was five weeks since Phil had passed. Charlotte woke up in her bedroom and stretched. She had been allowed to move back into her home last week and next week she was going back to work. She didn’t need the money, but she needed to find something to do with her mind. She just couldn’t sit at home and let herself feel bad for herself.
        Stretching again, Charlotte sat up and put her feet over the side of her bed. Instantly she regretted it. Her stomach heaved and she jumped up and bolted for her bathroom, just making it to the toilet in time.
        When she was done, Charlotte brushed her teeth and got dressed. What had made her get sick like that? She didn’t like it, it wasn’t the only time she had gotten sick. It had happened earlier that week the first time and every day since then.
 Director Fury was a thorough man and had ordered his team to keep tabs on Charlotte. They called her once a week, sometimes more and if anything sounded not right to them she was to be escorted back to the helicarrier.
        Charlotte had not received a call yet this week and knew it was coming. She didn’t want to go back to the helicarrier. Tony had been visiting since she came home, but he didn’t like Fury and wouldn’t go visit her on the helicarrier.
        Charlotte went down to the kitchen and ate breakfast. She had been craving peanut butter lately and was disappointed to find there was none in the cupboard. Time for a trip to the store, she thought as she slipped on a jacket and grabbed her purse.
        Walking two blocks to the local convenience store, Charlotte went straight to the peanut butter. She grabbed a large container of creamy and one of crunchy. On the way to the checkout, something caught Charlotte’s eye and it made her stop dead in her tracks.
        A home Pregnancy test kit. She looked down at the peanut butter in her hands and thought of all the times this week she had been sick in the morning. Looking back at the test kit, Charlotte’s eyes widened and she grabbed one. She paid for everything and rushed home.
        Waiting for the results of the test were torture. It seemed like hours before it was ready, when in reality, it was ten minutes. She sat there in her bathroom for the whole time wondering and worrying. What if she was pregnant? Could she raise Phil and her baby on her own? Could she handle it? What if something happened and she didn’t know what to do? What if she wasn’t pregnant? What if she was and lost it?
        So many questions whirled around her head, she barely heard the timer going off. With shaky hands, Charlotte walked over to the counter and looked down at the test. It read positive. She was carrying Phil’s baby.
        Charlotte’s hand flew to her mouth and she let out a strangled sob. Phil was gone and she would never have him back, but he had left her with something so precious that it almost seemed like he had known what was going to happen and hadn’t wanted her to be alone.
        Charlotte was overwhelmed and started to cry, sinking to the floor of the bathroom. She didn’t hear the knocking on the front door, or when it was opened.
        “Charlotte?” Tony called out as he walked into the entrance hall. He knew she was home, the door was unlocked and he could hear noises coming from down the hall. Following the sound, he stiffened as he realized that someone was crying. Bolting to the door, Tony opened it and saw Charlotte, sitting on the floor. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and her face was streaked with tears.
        “Charlotte! What’s wrong?” Tony knelt in front of her, and looked her over to see that she was not hurt. “What happened Charlotte?” Tony asked more slowly this time, meeting her eyes.
        Charlotte couldn’t speak to answer him, so she pointed to the counter where she had left the test sitting. Tony rose and looked in the direction that she had pointed. When he saw the test his eyes went wide in shock. He looked down at Charlotte, who was watching him for his reaction.
        “Come on” He said gently, helping her to her feet and leading her out of the bath room. Charlotte frowned slightly.
        “Where are we going Tony?” she asked as he helped her get her jacket on. He ushered her outside and into his car.
        “To get you checked out. To make sure everything is ok.” He replied as he pulled out the drive and headed toward where he knew the helicarrier was. It was docked now for repairs so it would be easy to get there. He wondered how Fury was going to react to this little bit of information. Would he allow Charlotte to stay at home or insist that she stay on the helicarrier?