Mess

Phil walked into the room and his eyes went immediately to his wife. She looked so small and helpless in that bed, it nearly broke his heart. He looked at her small form lying in the large hospital bed as he walked to the bedside; a shiver went up his spine as he realized just how dangerous it was for her to be married to him.
        “Phil?” Charlotte whispered, her voice sounded weak and was filled with pain. Phil winced as he hurried to her side. She was trying to sit more upright and he placed a hand on her shoulder, making her lay back down.
        “Why did you do that Charlotte?” he questioned her. While he was worried that she was in pain and relived that she was still alive, he was also angry at her. He cared for her so much that if she died he was not sure if he could survive it.
        “How could you be so stupid!?” he snapped, a little more harshly that necessary. He walked to the window and stared out at the darkness, trying to get his emotions under control. He froze as he heard a sound that broke his heart all over again. Charlotte was crying.
        He turned back to her and, after some careful maneuvering; he lay beside her on the bed. Careful of her side, Phil pulled Charlotte into his arms and held her. Charlotte was fearless and she was the last one to ever cry. She was a strong, level headed woman, who always knew what to do.
        “No love” he whispered in her ear softly, stroking her hair as he pulled her as close as he could without hurting her. “Don’t cry. You’re going to be ok. I’m so sorry that I wasn’t here. I will never let anything hurt you ever again. It’s going to be ok. Hush. We are going to be ok.” He continued to murmur to her softly, comforting her as best as he could. 
        “I was so scared.” Charlotte gasped, “I didn’t know if I would ever see you again!” Phil hushed her quickly.
        “I am here now.” He murmured to her. “Everything is going to be ok now. I promise.” He knew better than to say that. He was a SHIELD agent. He put his life on the line every day and there was no promise that he would be alive tomorrow. Phil knew he should not have promised that to her, but he couldn’t help the feeling of wanting to stop her crying. He loved her more than he could ever express. More than his own life.
        Soon she fell asleep in his arms. The nurse had come back in while he had been holding Charlotte and had given her some pain medication through her IV.
        Phil carefully got up from the bed and straightened his, now wrinkled suit. He covered Charlotte with another blanket and left the room. Stopping at the door, he looked at the young new agent, who had been assigned to guard his wife. The young man’s name was Trevor McKinnon and he was 23 years old. He was young all right, but Phil knew that he was good at what he did and no one would go anywhere near Charlotte with the intention of harming her. Phil trusted Trevor with his life and was confident that Charlotte would be safe.
        “I will be back in a few hours.” Phil told Trevor. Trevor nodded in acknowledgement. Phil left for home. He had come from SHIELD and had not gone home yet to shower or change yet.
        When he arrived home, he was surprised to see the lights on in the house, until he remembered Sophie. She was still at home. He rushed inside.
        “Sophie!” he called out. A sound from the living room alerted Phil to her location. He walked into the living room to find Sophie sitting on the couch with the elderly next door neighbor. The old woman had struck up a friendship with Sophie soon after she came home with her aunt and uncle. Unknown to Sophie, the woman was a retired SHIELD agent, placed there to keep an eye on Phil’s family when he was gone.
        Sophie was crying into a tissue and the woman was trying to calm her. The woman met Phil’s eyes and nodded. She got up and turned to Sophie.
        “I will talk with you later sweetheart.” She said in a loving tone. “You can stay with me for a few days so your uncle can take care of your aunt, ok?”
        That said the woman turned and left them alone. Sophie looked up at Phil. She was very wary of him when they first brought her home, but he was patient with her and soon he had earned her trust.
        “Is she..?” Sophie choked out. Phil shook his head and sat down next to her, pulling her into a hug. He rubbed her back, soothing her and calming her down.
        “She was shot in the side, but it didn’t hit anything vital and she is going to be ok.” He told her in a reassuring tone. He drew back and looked at her concerned by her appearance.
        “Why don’t you go take a shower and get cleaned up? I’m going to do the same and after we are done we will go to the hospital and see how she is. Ok?”
        Sophie nodded and attempted to wipe and the running mascara and eye liner on her face. Phil chuckled and helped her up from the couch.
        “Go get cleaned up and put something comfortable on. You will feel better.” He led her to her room and left her there. After she closed her door Phil stood in the hall for a minute until he heard the water in her bathroom turn on. He rubbed his face and went to his bedroom with a heavy sigh.  This was a mess.