Framing The Apple Pie...

Charlotte ran that memory over in her mind and she saw the waitress come over to their table, a couple of small plates in her hands, a piece of apple pie with a squirt of whipped cream on each of the plates. She knew Phil wasn’t interested in the waitress. They had been out together a lot and he had never shown the slightest interest in any other woman except for Charlotte. 
        The waitress set the plates down in front of Charlotte and Phil and walked away, making sure Charlotte didn’t see the excited smile on her face as she faced them. Charlotte looked over to Phil and was surprised to see his eyes studying her intently as if he was waiting for something. He noticed her ignoring her desert and began to talk again about moving out of the apartment building. 
        “I am hoping to buy a house soon and move out of my apartment. It is too small for two people to live in.” he stated as he took interest in his pie. Charlotte’s heart crumbled at his news of moving out. Mabie he didn’t love her anymore if he was buying a house with someone else. 
        “Who else would need so much room to live with you?” She asked, trying to keep the choked sound from letting him know she was heartbroken. She looked down at her pie, so he would not see the tears that gathered there. 
        Something shiny was sticking out of the top of the whipped cream on top of her pie. She blinked a couple times to clear her eyes of tears and when she could see what it was, Charlotte’s eyes widened in surprise. 
        “My wife, I hope, would probably like a nice house instead of a tiny apartment. I will provide that for her, along with everything else that she could possibly need,” Phil’s voice was filled with love as Charlotte’s head snapped up to look at him with wide eyes. He was now kneeling on one knee by her chair, looking up at her in anticipation. 
        “Including my undying love that grows for you more and more every day I am lucky enough to know you.” He continued as Charlotte’s eyes filled with tears again. Her heart soared with the words he said to her and the love she felt for him. She was unable to speak so she just nodded her head and threw herself into his arms, spreading kisses all over his face finally reaching his lips. 
        “I love you so much more than you will ever know!” he whispered fiercely as he broke their kiss. They suddenly became aware of the clapping and cheering that surrounded them. All the people that were there were congratulating Phil and Charlotte and were touched by the show of love that the couple had for each other. 
        Phil and Charlotte went back to the apartment after they sat down and ate their pie. Charlotte was not sure how she managed to eat the pie after that. She wanted to have it framed; marking the date her love bound them together for the rest of their lives. 
        Phil gently pulled Charlotte towards his apartment, where they had both been staying for the last couple days, since the night he had found her lying in bed crying her heart out. When they were not working, they were together, never more than an apartment length away from each other. 
        Phil unlocked the door and opened it for her to enter, but when she stepped forward, he took her by surprise and scooped her up in his arms and carried her inside, closing the door behind them, her giggling sounding heavenly in his ears. He carried her to his bedroom, refusing to set her down. 
        “I can walk you know. I don’t think you don’t have to carry me until we are married.” She gasped out through her giggles. 
        Phil grinned at her, taking her breath away. 
        “I’m just being thorough. There is no harm in that.” He retorted as he entered the bedroom and walked over to the bed. Lying her down on the bed he smiled down at her. She was always unbelievably pretty, but the sight of his ring glittering on her finger made her stunningly beautiful. She smiled up at him, love shining in her eyes as she reached her arms up to him. 
        Phil leaned down over her, bracing his arms on either side of her head. He lowered his lips to hers and, as usual, fireworks shot off for just the two of them. Charlotte gasped lightly as she felt his hands slowly unzipping the pale pink sun dress that she had worn that day for her graduation. Soon it was discarded to the floor, forgotten. The sudden need to feel skin against skin overtook Charlotte reached up and unbuttoned his shirt quickly as she felt Phil’s hand caressing over her stomach. The lightness of his touch sending shivers through her body.
        Soon Phil had his shirt and pants removed and on the floor with Charlotte’s dress. Phil lowered his body to hers and she gasped at the feel of his large, hard body against her small, soft body. The only thing that stood between them now was his boxers, her lace underwear and bra. 
        Phil kissed Charlotte deeply, tilting her head back, his lips made their way down her jaw and the slender column of her neck. Settling at the base of her throat, he started back up along her collar bone and up to the sensitive pulse point just under her ear. His hands running lightly up and down her sides and stomach, making the sensations running through her magnify. 
        She let out a gasp of pleasure as his lips hit her pulse point and her hands ran through the hair at the back of his neck, then down over his shoulders and his back, feeling his muscles rippling powerfully. 
        He was so strong and powerful. More than enough to do a great deal of harm to many things, but his gentleness and restraint when he touched her took her breath away. He was so strong, but he never used anything more than a feather light touch when he was holding her in his arms, holding her tight, but never tight enough to hurt her. She knew he could if he wanted to and it was enough to know that he restrained himself so much with her, she knew he loved her. 
        The rest of their clothes were soon deposited on the ever growing pile on the floor. The garments stayed there for the rest of the weekend, their owners never leaving the apartment. 
        Phil and Charlotte spent to weekend alone together, completely in love and totally happy. They did not speak much, but they got to know each other even more as they stayed together, one never far from the other. 
        It could not possibly get any better than this, Charlotte thought as she watched Phil getting dressed for work Monday morning, from the warm comfort of his bed. Phil looked over at her and she snapped her eyes shut, not wanting him to know she was awake, let alone that she had been watching his every move. 
        The sound of soft footsteps reached her ears, but she couldn’t tell which direction they went. A few moments of silence didn’t help her to figure out where he was. Suddenly, Charlotte was aware of the bed being pressed down on either side of her. She struggled to keep a straight face, she knew where he was now and she tried desperately to keep up the charade of being asleep. She thought she was doing a fair job of it, until she felt Phil lean down towards her. She could feel his breath on her neck as his lips came near to her ear. 
        “You are a terrible actress love” he murmured softly in her ear. Charlotte’s resolve broke as she giggled at being caught. Phil placed a loving kiss on her lips and pulled away. He looked down at her and chuckled at the sight of her face turning pink and her eyes opening to look at him. 
        “I guess I’m going to have to work on that then.” She teased him as she curled up further into the blankets. He kissed her on the forehead and left for work, a small smile playing on his lips. 
        Nick Fury had been working with Agent Coulson for a long time and this was not the first time he had come in to work with a small smile on his face, but today the smile was more noticeable as he walked up to Nick, ready to receive his orders. 
        “Agent Coulson” Nick nodded to his agent, ready to get to the bottom of it all, “What has you in such a good mood this morning?” 
        Phil had never shown anything more than the stiffest respect for his boss, but this morning he could not contain himself as he flashed his boss with a brief happy smile. 
        “I asked Charlotte to marry me.” He answered his boss quickly and right to the point, as always. Nick was not all that surprised. He was well aware of his agents lives outside of work and knew that Agent Coulson had been seeing the girl that had ran from Marcus Deberaough. He had been sent a couple years back, to find out why Marcus was after her. After they discovered she was once his girlfriend, they figured out the rest quickly. 
Charlotte had fallen in love with him at first, but slowly came to realize exactly how much of a monster he really was. She ran from him and he was furious, he sent out to anyone on the streets that would bring her in an offer of a favor when they needed it. 
        Nick had seen to it that her tracks were covered well, so no one would be able to find her easily. Phil had saved her from the couple of men that had tried to do her off. 
        Phil had never mentioned anything, but Nick knew he had continued to stick around her, looking out for her when she needed it. Phil would never admit it, but Nick was also aware that the girl took care of him, just as much as he did her. Phil started to take more time for himself and Nick was quite happy that he had found something to make him slow down and make him enjoy life. Agent Coulson did not have a bad life, but Nick knew it was not entirely complete or happy. 
        Nick’s good eye, regarded Phil with a twinkle. That was the only emotion he allowed himself to show. Turning back to the controls, Nick pressed a few buttons before speaking again. 
        “From the smile on your face, I can assume she accepted your proposal.” He stated gruffly as he turned to see Agent Coulson’s, now composed face. Nick clapped his hand on Phil’s shoulder and shook his hand briefly. 
        “Congratulations Phil” was all he said before turning back to his work.