A Huge Ball Of Stress Wrapped Up In Disrespect...

Sometimes being the Director of a top secret Government agency was a huge ball of stress wrapped up in disrespect. Having to deal with people like Tony Stark sometimes made Nick Fury wonder why he ever accepted the position in the first place, other times he felt in total control. Today had started with total control.
        Nick had just gotten a progress report earlier that day from Agent Coulson and everything was in order. It became one of those days where there was not a lot to do. Nick hated those kinds of days. He was glad that the majority of his agents got to relax a bit, but he hated being idle. It bothered him to the extreme.
        “Director Fury. There is an incoming call from a land line.” One of his agents, monitoring one of the screens, called out to him. “It looks like Coulson’s.”
        Nick frowned. He knew Agent Coulson was married, but she was at work right at the moment. She was the head nurse and usually liked to handle the code blue situations on her own if she could. There had been such an occurrence a few hours ago. It was nothing big, but that is more than likely where she was right at the moment.
        “Patch me in.” Nick nodded to the young man. After a moment a young girl’s voice broke through the line. She sounded like she was upset about something and a little stressed out at having to talk to a stranger.
        “I need to speck with Phil Coulson please.” She said in a weak and unsure tone.
        “He is unavailable at this moment. I can, however, give him a message if you will leave one.” Nick told the girl in his usual hard tone. He heard a sigh of irritation. She seemed to lose her insecurity when angered.
        “Yes” She replied in a snappy tone that surprised Nick, “You can ask him what the point of having an emergency number that will call him is if he isn’t available to talk anyways is.” She gave a huff before continuing, “Then you can tell him that Aunt Charlotte was hurt at work and he needs to come home now.”
        After a moment Nick realized that she was waiting for a response.
        “She works in a hospital. She will be well taken care of there without him.” He said, not willing to take Agent Coulson off his current mission if he didn’t have to. The girl made an irritated noise before responding.
        “Is that a fact?” She said in a cool tone. “Well you can tell him, if that is the case, that some crazy man that she was trying to help pulled a gun on her and nailed her when she rushed him to keep others from getting shot,  but not to worry because it happened in a hospital so she should be fine.”
        The silence in the room was deafening as Nick absorbed what the girl had just said. Finally, Nick heaved a deep sigh.
        “He will be there as soon as he can get there.” He said and signaled the Agent to hang up.
        “Get Agent Romanoff out to Coulson’s current location and have her send him back here.” He barked to the Agents that stood, waiting for his orders.
        When Charlotte woke up she was lost in a haze of light and pain. She gasped and tried to turn away from the hot poker that was being pressed against her side. When it didn’t work and the hot poker just followed her where ever she moved. Her eyes shot open and she snapped them shut immediately because of the blinding light that was hanging above her head, causing her head to begin pounding. What had happened to make her hurt so much?
        “Take it easy Charlotte” Saundra’s voice came from the bedside. A hand was on her shoulder telling her to hold still. Charlotte stilled and the pain lessened a bit. She opened her eyes more slowly this time. She was in a hospital bed in her own hospital.
        “Well this is stupid.” She sighed groggily, knowing she must be on pain medication to make her head feel like it is floating.  
        “You have been out for three days Char.” Saundra said as she began to take Charlotte’s vitals. “You scared us all, including your husband. He got here yesterday and has been acting like the very devil himself from the moment he walked through the doors.” Saundra looked Charlotte in the eyes. “This is the only time I have ever seen him scared. He won’t let it show, but his eyes say he is terrified.”
        Some gruff and abrupt voices from the hall got Charlotte’s attention. Saundra rolled her eyes in irritation.
        “He actually hired armed guards to flank the doors when he is not in the room. He has been all about you.” She replied as she finished writing the results down and putting the clipboard where it belonged. Walking to the door, Saundra poked her head out and caught Phil’s eye.
        “She is awake.” She told him before retreating down the hall to give then some privacy.