Chapter 12: Losing Hope

"Chan!" Yuna cheered, entering his hospital room, surprising him

"Chan!" Yuna cheered, entering his hospital room, surprising him. He was currently sitting on his bed, reading a book he had lost interest in long ago.

"Yuna? How did you find my room?" he questioned, astonished.

"I have my ways," she winked.

"I'm not sure if I wanna know them," he shrugged, making her giggle. He giggled at watching her giggle, and patted the free space of his bed to invite her to sit. She plopped down weakly on the bed, fixing her beanie that she wore to hide her balding head.

"So, what's up?" Chan asked, and she clapped her hands.

"You said you will help me fulfill my wishes, right?" she asked, and he nodded.

She breathed in and out, and with a bittersweet expression, she let out, "I don't think I have much time left, Chan."

He paused, all traces of laughter faded from his face, dread overtaking his mind.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not getting better... It's getting really hard to survive," she averted her eyes to the floor, letting her real self show for once.

Yuna wasn't exactly keen on breaking down in front of someone she was supposed to give hope to, but truth to be told, she was losing hope herself. Every time, at a chemotherapy session, her doctor would lie to her to give her consolation, but Yuna could see through her façade.

She was slowly withering away. And even though she couldn't break the glass of Chan's hope completely, she had to tell him that she wasn't going to stay forever.

Especially when she was starting to get a little bit too attached to him. She had a feeling that he harboured similar feelings for her too, thanks to her ability to easily read people.

"Yuna," Chan spoke, bringing her back to earth, "Don't lose hope, okay?"

"You can't deny the truth, Chan."

He placed his hands on both her shoulders, squeezing them slightly, and stopping when he could feel her bones from underneath her clothes.

"Listen," he spoke nonetheless, "I might not be the best person to say this, but don't lose hope, alright? No problem is permanent."

She smiled fondly, remembering one of their earliest conversations, when she had told him something along the lines of that.

Chan continued, "You're the strongest person I've ever met, and I hope you know that. Please don't give up; you're my hope. Don't take my hope away from me."

Something struck Yuna's heart when he said that, and she almost sobbed. She didn't want to be his hope when she knew that it would be seized from him anytime soon. However, she couldn't stay away from him too, because he had become someone she confided in as well. She couldn't do that to either of them.

"You'll get through this, okay?"

And she didn't want to snatch the last slivers of light shining in his gloomy life, so she said, "Okay..."