Chapter 3: Mayonnaise

Chan and Yuna sat opposite to each other in silence

Chan and Yuna sat opposite to each other in silence. The girl was busy staring at the Polaroid pictures that she had clicked on the present day, and he observed her wordlessly.

She looked dangerously thin and frail – which was also the first thing he had noticed about her – and her smile didn't seem to vanish. It seemed as if she was happy to be in the hospital.

"Do you like it here?" Chan found himself asking her, and her head snapped up from her pictures.

"Huh?"

"I asked if you like it here or not."

"Well, I've been here for over six months now, so this is like home," she sadly smiled, the corners of her lips faltering.

"Six months? That's a lot," he remarked, pondering over it. He could barely handle his first day in the place, and to think that she had been living here for so long... it made him pity her.

"What brought you here?" he questioned yet again, and Yuna leaned in towards him, motioning him to lean in too, and acting as if her piece of information was a top secret.

She whispered to him, "I have chronic leukemia. It's a kind of a blood cancer."

Chan paused, his mind emptying. Of course, it was a hospital, so he should've expected something serious, especially since she had been staying there for so long, but he never expected her to have such a chronic ailment.

"What are you here for her?" she asked him, and he averted his eyes, ashamed of his condition. He didn't want to tell her, because everything the world does is to judge him.

"Well?" she waved a hand in front of him, and giving in, he cautiously spoke, "I have bipolar disorder."

"Ahh, okay," she slowly nodded, and then said, "That means that you're on the other wing of the hospital."

"Yeah..."

"Too bad that we aren't in the same building," she pouted, "You seem like a good person."

"I do? Thanks," he showed a tight-lipped smile, and she grinned widely.

Chan looked around, grimacing at the amount of people in the cafeteria. To him, nothing about the scenario before him seemed lively in that room full of people. After all, the majority of the population in the packed cafeteria was here to visit their loved ones, who were suffering behind those white hospital walls.

"You seem uncomfortable. Did I weird you out?" Yuna ended his trance by speaking to him, and he immediately shook his head.

"No, of course not! I'm just... I..." he couldn't find the right words to express his emotions. And that's where Yuna helped him out.

"Let me guess: you feel bad about all the people here? Like, because their people are suffering?"

"How did you know?" Chan was stunned. She really had the talent to read people easily – he thought as he watched her sigh.

"Bang Chan, listen to me," Yuna placed her small hands on the cafeteria table, "We're in no place to pity them because our loved ones are going through the same as them. Yes, empathy is right, but what can we even do about it?"

"So you're going to be insensitive to the patients and ignore the number of people dying in here?" he stressed.

"So you're going to be insensitive to the doctors and ignore the number of people recovering in here?" she argued back, shutting him up.

"You're... right," he agreed after a little while, and she leaned across the table to pat his shoulder to say, "Don't worry; you'll get used to this place very quickly – though I hope for your early recovery!"

"O-Okay," he spoke, surprised at her move.

She sat back on her seat, and then, looking back at the pictures, her eyes lit up upon seeing a certain picture, and she laughed loudly. Some people even turned to look at her, but she didn't pay any heed to them.

Instead, she dragged her chair next to Chan, and in between her peals of laughter, she pointed at the picture in her hands and exclaimed, "There's mayonnaise on his beard!"

Chan took a look at the picture, and even though it wasn't as funny, he found her laugh contagious, and couldn't help but let out a small laugh at her antics.

Perhaps he'd learn how to smile again if he stayed with her.

(a/n: well, that

Also, double update! Yayyy somEONE READ THIS STORY PLEASE)