Chapter 14: Euthanasia

"Aunt?"

"Aunt?"

"Oh, my!" the lady gasped, "Yuna! Look how big you've gotten!"

Yuna nervously laughed, "Yeah, it's nice to see you after so long..."

"Why do you look so weak, though-" she paused, finally glancing at Chan, "And who is this handsome boy next to you?"

"That's Chan, my friend," Yuna dodged the first question easily.

"Oh, come in!" the lady ushered them in, "How are you? How have you been all this time?"

"Ah, I'm just okay. How're you?" Yuna continued the conversation as the lady sat them down on a wooden-built couch in a small living room.

"I'm doing fine, but whoa, look how big our little girl has gotten! She even has a boyfriend now!" the lady mischievously grinned.

"Oh, no! He's just a f-friend," Yuna glanced at Chan, who was flustered, mirroring her own expression.

"Sure, sure," the lady got up, "I'll get you some water."

As she left, Yuna turned to Chan and blurted out, "Don't mind her. She's my mother's sister, and I haven't seen her in years as well."

"That's okay," he spoke, "Where's your grandmother?"

"I'll ask her."

That was when the lady — Yuna's aunt — came out of the small kitchen, holding a tray with two glasses of water, and as soon as she placed it before them, Yuna immediately asked, "Where's grandma?"

The aunt's smile washed off quickly, and she sighed in disappointment before she spoke, "Honey, she's not okay."

"Wh-What do you mean?" Yuna's voice wavered.

"Come, I'll take you to her," the older woman stood up, making the two stand up too, and she lead them into a warm chamber to the left, and upon opening the door of the room, Yuna didn't wait to fully open the door as she rushed inside.

Chan watched as he saw a wrinkled, old lady lay on a bed, unmoving; not even blinking.

"Grandma? It's me, Yuna," the girl kneeled beside her bed, face-to-face with the old woman.

She didn't even blink.

"What happened to her?" Yuna asked her aunt, and with pursed lips, she explained, "We don't know. She just stopped eating and working and she's been in a vegetative state ever since."

"..." Yuna looked at her grandmother, and not giving up in making her move, she spoke, "Didn't you miss me, grandma?"

Chan and the aunt just watched her while she tried her best to make a conversation with the old woman, "It's your little cupcake! Won't you make me cookies like you used to?"

There was still no response.

However, Yuna didn't stop, "You know, I developed a little illness too. Pamper me with your hugs, please?"

The aunt sobbed, standing beside Chan, and she ran away from the room as a tear slipped past Yuna's face, "I missed you. I'm sure you missed me too, didn't you?"

Chan went and sat next to Yuna, wrapping his arms around her shoulders from behind, and he felt her tremble.

"Reply, please..." by now, her tears were flowing freely, after being embraced by Chan. His hug was possibly the sign she needed to break down.

And looking at her grandmother, laying almost lifeless on her bed, memories rushed past her head rapidly; those times when she was a preteen and she used to visit her grandmother in vacations, and how she used to braid her hair with her delicate hands and feed her homemade cookies. She missed it all.

And as she sobbed there, her aunt came back into the room with a box of tissues, her eyes framed red.

"We've been trying to perform euthanasia," she spoke to Yuna.

"What's that?"

"It's the painless killing of a patient who has a terminal disease and can't be reversed," she explained.

"Isn't it illegal?"

"Not now... and that's the only option we have left now," the aunt gloomily spoke.

Yuna looked at the ground for a few moments, and then, with a newfound strength, she sniffled and spoke,

"Do it. Please end my grandma's pain."