Chapter 19: Better Or Worse?

"How are you, Yuna?" her doctor asked her, visiting her in her chamber, and as the lady doctor inserted a needle into her veins on her arm, Yuna winced

Why was she wincing? She should be used to it by now - or so she thought. Ignoring her agony, she smiled up at the doctor and spoke, "I'm good, ma'am. How about you?"

"Could be better," she shrugged, injecting the liquid into her and taking notes in her report.

"Why? Did something go wrong?" Yuna questioned.

"No, not really... life as a doctor is hard. You try to save everyone, but somebody does die in front of you, especially when you're trying to help them live. It's tiring," the doctor spoke with a bittersweet smile.

"I see," Yuna gave her a tight-lipped smile, "Don't worry; this patient won't die on you."

She saw her doctor's smile falter, and even though she felt the bubble of hope burst inside her, she kept up a grin to ease herself and not panic.

"About that..." the doctor looked as if she was deep in thought, "Yuna, you need to take better care of yourself. Your health is deteriorating rapidly. I'm in awe at how you're still able to walk straight."

"...Is it that bad?" Yuna asked, letting her expression drop at her words.

"I can't tell at this point. Your reports state that you should be on bed rest, but you're walking around just fine. I'm confused."

Yuna instantly knew that it was the faith and hope she had for getting better, which was keeping her alive. Absurd, it was - yes, she admitted that, but somehow, someone's hope in her recovery was keeping her sane, breathing, in her senses.

And she certainly knew who that 'someone' was.

"Don't worry, ma'am; I'll keep up just fine," she assured her, partially because she still had some wishes on her plate to fulfill. She couldn't give up before completing them. No, she didn't have the heart to leave them pending.

The doctor nodded in uncertainty, and a moment later, she asked, "Have your headaches increased?"

"Yes, I think so," Yuna answered truthfully.

"And are your gums bleeding these days?"

"Um, yes."

The doctor sighed, murmuring to herself, "It's just getting worse."

However, Yuna heard it, and she looked down at her lap, one of her arms busy with the needles, and the other one lightly scratching at her hospital gown. Her mind wasn't working well, perhaps, because she felt hope leave her body.

And instead of a smile, a tear slid down her face.

---

"So, Chan," Taehyun entered his chamber with a folder full of sheets and a pen in his right hand. With his vacant hand, he shut the door behind him.

"Hey!" Chan grinned, and Taehyun was taken aback.

"Wow, we seem positive today," he spoke happily, seating himself on one of the stools near his bed.

"Well, I feel energetic these days, so I couldn't help being cheerful," Chan explained.

"I see," Taehyun noted it down, "And how about your sleep?"

"I don't feel the need to sleep."

"Alright. How do you feel about yourself?"

"In what sense?"

"In a general sense," Taehyun clarified.

"Um..." Chan thought over it for a while, "I feel like I'm happier now. I mean, Yuna helped me so much and I feel like I'm not failing her anymore."

"Who's Yuna?" Taehyun furrowed his eyebrows.

"She's another patient in this hospital. She has blood cancer, and she's helped me so much regarding my health and my basic outlook on life. She's an angel."

Taehyun listened carefully, and smiled, and spoke, "Well, I think we all should thank Yuna for helping you because you're getting much better!"

And instead of a frown that always curled his lips downwards, it was a smile gracing Chan's lips.

(a/n: so I've completed writing all the chapters of this book, so expect regular updates!)