Chapter 13: First Wish

And after all had calmed down, Yuna spoke up, "So it's time we got down to my first wish

And after all had calmed down, Yuna spoke up, "So it's time we got down to my first wish."

"Yes! What is it?" Chan was enthusiastic.

"Well, it isn't very grand, but I want to meet my old grandmother. She lives by the countryside and I haven't visited her since I was 10," she explained.

"That's a long time," he remarked, "When do you want to go?"

"Tonight."

O~O~O

It was one in the night when Yuna sneaked out of her hospital room, looking both ways before tip-toeing out of the chamber and silently shutting and locking it.

She took the elevator and rode it until she reached the ground floor, and fixing her beanie on her head and her mask on her lower face, she briskly walked towards their tree, under which she found Chan standing, looking at the night sky above.

Chan looked at her, dresses in a yellow t-shirt and ripped jeans for the first time. His mind immediately reminded him that she looked better in casuals than a hospital gown, of course.

As she approached him, he showed her a pair of car keys, spinning them on his index finger.

"Whose car is it?" she whispered, catching the keys midway to stop the clinking noise.

"It's my mom's. She's staying home tonight so I asked her if I could take it with me," he explained.

Yuna excitedly skipped, "We're actually doing this! I can't wait!"

"Me neither," he fondly grinned at her, watching her take off her mask and show him her genuine, excited grin. She looked like a child — like a child shining with happiness upon getting an ice cream.

"Let's go?"

"Let's go!"

And with that, they hopped into the car and Chan drove away. With their circumstances, it seemed as if it was a breakout from their 'prison' that the hospital was. Having serious illnesses wasn't a joke — their lives hung by a thin, fragile thread, and with the fever of living their lives like it was their last chance to do so, it was a moment of celebration for them.

And Yuna, who hadn't left the hospital in over six months, admired the trees passing by, and the little shops and the streetlights and the houses lined along the sides of the road. She felt free... after a long time.

She rolled down the window and let the fresh air splash her face, and in the silent road, she yelled, "I'M FREE!"

Chan laughed, increasing the speed of the car and the air rushed past quicker, making Yuna exclaim in joy.

The road was clear, and passing by the city was a matter of a couple of hours. By the time the daylight commenced falling on them, they had already crossed the border of the city. Now, driving in the countryside, Chan drove as Yuna directed him with the directions.

Her excitement hadn't died down even once throughout the four hour ride, and it only rekindled once she saw the cottages at a turn of the road.

The air felt fresher here; the spread of greenery around, as the sun rose slowly, shining its majestic rays down on them, while slow wind played around — it was no less than an ideal scenery for Chan, who hadn't seen such a scenario before.

"Take the next left," Yuna spoke, and Chan nodded, taking the left turn to reach the final cottage in the area.

It wasn't as luxurious, but just a small house with thick wooden gates and a little garden surrounding it, and he would be lying to himself is his simple self didn't like the setting and wouldn't love living there.

As soon as the car came to a halt, Yuna jumped out of it and jogged to the gate, knocking on it, excitedly saying, "Open up, grandma! It's your little cupcake!"

Chan laughed at her nickname, and locking the car and coming after her, he saw the gate swing open and Yuna's smile vanish.

She asked, puzzled, "Aunt?"