Chapter Fifty-Six

“Shingami, how have you been?” Shingami bowed her head at the sight of the old samurai after he had greeted Lady Tsunade. 

“I’ve been well, Mifune.” The man had a straight face as he noticed Shikamaru a little behind her.

“You must be Shikaku’s son, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Shikamaru just bowed his head the same way Shingami had but he didn’t say anything, the old man didn’t mind at all since that was how Shikaku was.

He turned back to Shingami. “Make it your job to make sure they act correctly, these three have never been to a summit before, the others will try to use that.”

“Of course.”

“You already know the way don’t you?”

“Yes, sir.”

With that, he walked away.

Shikamaru frowned. “Are they all going to be like that?”

“Mostly, don’t let your guard down.”

Tsunade noticed the way Shingami held herself, she was on edge, ready for anything that came their way. She’d been like that since they left the village. Shikamaru just seemed so used to it he didn’t mind at all that she looked like she was gonna kill someone, that or he just didn’t care, and he just stayed glued by her side the whole time.

“Shingami, where will we be staying for the next few days?” She asked upon noticing how dark the sky was like she didn’t notice it before.

“Just follow me, it’s easier to show you.”

___________

Shingami lead them to the room that the Konoha ninja have always stayed in, upon opening the door she sighed seeing that there were still only two beds. 

“Lady Tsunade and Lady Shizune you can sleep in the large bed, Shikamaru you can have the other.”

“Huh? What about you?” Shikamaru questioned.

“I will not be sleeping.”

Tsunade stared at her. “You’ll need sleep, Shikamaru would you be opposed to letting her sleep next to you?”

Shikamaru’s face heated up. “That’s fine,”

Shingami glanced at her Hokage but didn’t say anything right away. “...Someone needs to keep watch.”

“That is why we are in neutral land, the samurai will be on guard at all times, you can rest easy Shingami.”

Shikamaru face-planted onto the bed with a groan, not only was he tired but now he was also embarrassed. 

After Lady Tsunade and Lady Shizune had gone to bed, Shingami did a quick check of the perimeter.

She walked out in the courtyard where the snow was still fresh under her feet and she just stood there for a few moments looking up at the light snowflakes that fell, she took off her mask and closed her eyes taking in the feeling of the cool air on her exposed skin, every time she exhaled a little puff of fog came out as the warm air met the cold.

Shikamaru was watching her from the window, she looked so calm compared to how she’d been the entire trip here, she looked stunning with a crown of snowflakes that rested on her hair.

He looked down at the girl’s kunai pouch that she’d left on the table next to the bed he was sitting on, he wouldn’t have looked at it if it hadn’t shifted when he accidentally bumped it with his arm. He could see something bright orange sticking out, so out of curiosity he pulled it out, realizing it was a book, and for some reason, he felt like he’d seen the cover before so he opened it to the place that had a little grey bookmark.

His face turned a shade of red that put Gaara’s hair to shame and he was quick to close the book and look out the window only to realize shingami was gone, his eyes quickly shifted to the door as Shingami closed it behind her with a light click as she locked it. 

She noticed her book in his hand and took off her mask and walked over to where he was sitting placing it on the table next to her now opened kunai pouch.

“I didn’t realize you read these kinds of books,” he said quietly as he held it over his face to hide his embarrassment.

“There’s nothing to be ashamed of,” she said with a smirk as she gently took the book from his hands so she could see his pinkened face, she put it back in her pouch.

“Do you want to sleep on the outside?” Shikamaru questioned knowing that she’d probably want to be able to get up without having to climb over him if a situation did arise.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll just sleep on the floor.” She said as she took her blade off her back leaning it up against the table.

“Shingami-”

“It’s fine, Shikamaru.”

Before she could get settled on the ground beside the bed, he grabbed her arm and pulled her into the bed next to him, her eyes were wide and her face was a little flushed. “Shikamaru?”

“It’s cold, I-I don’t want you to get sick.”

“...Alright.” She pulled the edge of the blanket over the two of them, they were facing each other but they were both embarrassed and neither of them tried to hide it.

Shingami’s hand brushed against his, making him shiver at how cold they were. “We should get you some gloves, your hands are freezing.”

“It’s alright, I don’t mind.”

Shikamaru took both of her hands in his feeling a bit more confident. Shingami watched him as he held her hands to warm them.

“I’m fine, really.”

“It’s no problem.”

They laid there in silence for a long while staring into each other’s eyes. While they stared, Shikamaru found himself getting lost in her beautiful glimmering magenta eyes.

So many things were hidden in those eyes of hers, all the pain, all the anger, all the sadness, all the regret, and remorse. Everything that she didn’t show people were hidden in those eyes.

Shikamaru knew how much trust the girl had in him to share the things she did with him. About her mother and her brother.

He’d heard so many stories about how happy those two had made her, how scared she was as a kid, how she never really had a dream of her own.

But he wanted nothing more for the moment to never end and once she finally did fall asleep closing those unique eyes, he kept her hands in his as he too drifted off to sleep.