Chapter Eleven

After Yoshino left the pair alone Shingami sat down on the opposite side of the board while Shikamaru kind of shot up into a sitting position.

“You came,” Shikamaru said it almost like he wasn’t expecting her to show up.

“I said I would.” As she set her mask off to the side right next to the board.

“You did but…” He trailed off then got right back on track.

“Alright let’s start with identifying the pieces on the board.”

He laid out one of each of the types of pieces and pointed to each one telling her the names of each one.

In the end, she figured out that Fu were pawns, Kyosha were lances, Keima were knights, Gin were silver generals, Kin were gold generals, Kaku were bishops, Hisha were rooks and Gyoku were kings. After that, she learned about what made each one special and what they could and couldn’t do in a game.

“Do you think you’ve got a general idea of how it works?” Shikamaru asked more than ready to have to explain a second a little better if he had to.

“Yeah, do you want to go first?” Shingami said which kind of surprised Shikamaru.

It wasn’t like he thought that she was stupid or something it was just that Shogi was a bit complex but he should have known that she wasn’t a lesser mind.

“Why don’t you start us off? But I will warn you that I will not go easy on you.”

Shingami gave him a devious smile. “I wouldn’t want it any other way.” She said as she moved a pawn forward.

________________

Shikaku opened the door to his house after a long day of working with the Hokage and running a couple of errands. He yawned as he took his shoes off at the door. Then he walked into the kitchen to see Yoshino working away to make a bigger dinner than usual.

“What’s the occasion?” He asked while trying to remember if he forgot someone’s birthday or his anniversary. Which he was pretty damn sure he didn’t forget.

This time at least.

“Shikamaru has a friend over.” She said not looking up from whatever she was doing.

“Choji’s still here? I thought he left earlier.” He said then he yawned again.

“Choji left around four, Shikamaru invited Shingami over and she got here about five-thirty.”

That caught Shikaku’s attention. His son invited over someone different for a change but not only that, it was a girl and that girl was quite the character. 

“Did he now?”

“Yes, Shingami is such a sweetheart, isn’t she?” Yoshino said happily as she mixed the rice that was cooking in the pot. “Can you ask Shingami if she’s staying for dinner? It’s almost ready.”

“Where are they?”

“Playing Shogi.” Was all she said as she mixed the cooking curry.

Shikaku left the kitchen and went towards the Shogi room. The door was open so it’d be easier to sneak a peek however he knew that Shingami probably sensed his chakra as soon as he left the Hokage tower. And it’d be a drag to try and hide his chakra from the girl.

He walked right up to the doorway to see Shingami in the spot that he’d normally be in and Shikamaru in his normal spot. Neither of them seemed to notice him and they both appeared to be engrossed in the Shogi game. 

He glanced at their gameplay and noticed that Shikamaru appeared to be doing something different than what he normally did. Shingami and Shikamaru were basically tied in every way possible since all of their pieces blocked the other’s out. 

“It’s a tie. There are no moves either of you can make.”

That made both of their heads snap over to him all while they tensed up. After they figured out that it was just Shikaku they relaxed.

“You finished work, dad? What time is it?” It was almost like the pair didn’t even notice that it was dark outside.

“It’s seven twenty. What’s the score?”

“Already? For the past nine rounds, it’s been a tie.” Shikamaru scratched the back of his head and let out a yawn.

Shikaku then turned his attention to Shingami who hadn’t said a word in the entire time he had been in the room.

“Yoshino wanted me to ask if you were staying for dinner.”

Shikamaru’s yawn turned into a cough halfway through causing but Shikaku and Shingami to look at him.

“Only if Shikamaru wants me to. I wouldn’t want to impose.”

After Shikamaru’s coughing fit, he composed himself but refused to look at his father’s amused smirk.

“Uh, I’d like it if you did-but only if you want to.” He quickly glanced up at Shingami to see her reaction.

But it’s Shingami so he wasn’t really expecting much of a reaction. 

Shingami instead of looking indifferent she kind of looked surprised which made it all the more embarrassing for Shikamaru because Shikaku was chuckling at his son’s predicament. 

“Yeah, I’ll stay. I just hope Ibiki doesn’t mind.”

She and Ibiki hadn’t spoken since she finished her interrogation session earlier in the morning. And She knew that she could have told him that she was going out while he was in the shower but she didn’t so when she gets home she was going to make it up to him.

“Let’s go sit at the table, Yoshino’s probably finished by now,” Shikaku said and the pair followed him out of the room.

Once they entered the room Shikamaru and Shikaku sat down in their respective places, but Shingami noticed that Yoshino was still setting the table and went to help her.

“May I help you?” Shingami asked her.

“It’s alright you as a guest you can go sit down.” She said even though she still had to bring out the food.

“Please, I insist.” Shingami persisted.

The Nara Matriarch caved in and let the girl do as she pleased and went to go put the food on the table. Shingami placed the bowls and eating utensils in each of the spots that they were sitting in. Her arm brushed against Shikamaru’s chest lightly as she set up his area which was on her right side and she didn’t have to stand up to do it so after she gave Yoshino and Shikaku their things for dinner first then she gave Shikamaru and finally herself their stuff.

“Dinner is served,” Yoshino said as she placed down the main part of the meal which just so happened to be Chicken Curry.