Chapter Twenty-Nine

The funeral wasn’t too long ago.

Everything was basically back to normal with the exception of the village being without its Hokage.

Shingami still hadn’t found the time to go to a smith to get a blade specially made. She wanted to go to Kirigakure to get the blade but she was swamped with work since the attack. She'd been in the T&I building for most of the time.

It’d basically been Interrogation after interrogation, but it couldn’t be helped. Shingami didn’t mind too much, but Anko had been acting… weird

And that meant something because it was, well, Anko.

The girl knew that Orochimaru used to be Anko’s mentor, so that could be contributing to her strange behavior. 

Shingami was doing her paperwork while she was roaming through the halls. Ibiki was having a meeting with the council in his office and they made it very clear that they didn’t want her around. Especially Councilman Danzo, He was against her staying in the village even when Hiruzen would vouch for her every time.

That was another problem, without Hiruzen, she’d have fewer freedoms and the council would make sure to keep her on a tight leash.

She looked up from her clipboard after feeling it jerk slightly, she saw a senbon lodged into the wood. She looked a little down the hall and saw Genma smirking at her.

“Hey, kid. How are you holding up?” He waited until she was caught up with him before walking beside her.

“I’ll be fine. Any word on who is going to be Hokage?”

Genma shrugged. “I think Lord Third wanted Master Jiraiya to take over for him, but he declined and Lady Tsunade is going to.”

“Ok, I just hope that she’ll hear out my contract.”

Genma grimaced and glanced at her. “You still have that? I thought Lord third made it final.”

“No, he wanted to, but the council…” She sighed and shook her head. “...There’s no persuading them.”

He put his hand on her shoulder as they continued to walk around aimlessly. “Hey, No matter what they say I will always be here for you.”

She put her hand over his acknowledging what he’d just said to her. “I’m glad you’re my partner. I would’ve probably found a way to kill myself otherwise.”

He scoffed. “I don’t think that’s even possible.”

She shrugged letting go of his hand. “Yeah, I don’t think so either.” 

They were walking and talking for a while. They didn’t see anyone in the halls so it was quiet except for their playful and witty comments to one another.

It wasn’t until someone called their names did they stop.

“Genma, Shingami!” They turned around to see Anko with a crazy look on her face making the pair look at each other then back at her. “Ibiki wants you in his office.” She paused for a second. “Now.”

With that, the three of them walked to the director’s office. Shingami noted the woman’s behavior was almost back to normal and now she had a really bad feeling about going to the office with her. Genma also shared the girl’s uneasiness.

The three of them walked into the office without warning the man sitting at the desk just sighed and shook his head. He had two scrolls on his desk one was white and red and the other was white and green. 

“As we all know the council isn’t very pleased as of right now so to avoid getting any unwanted attention from them I’m sending you three on two back to back missions until Master Jiraiya and Naruto Uzumaki bring the fifth Hokage here.” Ibiki threw the green scroll at Genma and Anko.

“Leave us a moment.”

Shingami was a little confused as she watched the pair leave the room closing the door silently behind them, they were waiting in the hallway.

Ibiki stood up from his chair and walked to stand right in front of Shingami holding eye contact as he tenderly took her mask off her face, gently brushing strands of silver hair out of her face. Seeing the dark circles around her eyes from the lack of sleep.

“We both know the council is going to try to remove you from my supervision. Councilman Danzo said he wanted you in ROOT.” The scarred man sighed, shaking his head rubbing his eyes with his large hand. “I need you to formalize your contract with the fifth Hokage when she arrives.”

Shingami looked away. “I know. I was talking to Genma about this earlier.” She forced a small smile on her face. “I’ll make sure she listens.”

Ibiki’s face went blank. “How exactly do you plan to make her listen?”

Shingami’s magenta eyes flashed with something that ibiki couldn’t quite place. It didn’t discourage him but it also didn’t reassure him either.

He sighed putting his hand on the top of her head. “Just try not to kill anyone.”

The girl unconsciously leaned into his hand with a small yet content smile. “I’ll do my best.” She closed her eyes. “I promise.”

He gently slipped her mask back over her face, placed the red scroll in her hands then put both his hands on her shoulders. “I bought you some new clothes and burned that pink shirt to ash. The bag is on the table in the kitchen. Shikamaru also wanted to see you before you go, he’s at his house.”

Shingami nodded as he let go of her and as she turned to leave his voice stopped her. “Be careful.”

Even with her back facing the man she smiled. “I will.”

With that, she left the office leaving the man alone.