Chapter Fifty-Seven

Shingami slowly opened her eyes and blinked a few times to get rid of the little blurry glare. Her eyes settled on Shikamaru’s peaceful face. She just stared for a few minutes before gently slipping her hands out of his.

She pulled the blanket off but made sure that stayed on the Nara who didn’t even move. Upon looking at the other bed on the other side of the room, both Lady Tsunade and Shizune were still sleeping with Tonton snuggly between the two of them. The silver-haired girl grabbed her sword and strapped it onto her back and sat back down to secure her kunai pouch onto her thigh tightly.

From the corner of her eyes, she noticed Shikamaru’s hand move slightly but he didn’t move any farther. She quietly watched him for a couple of seconds to see if he was going to wake up but unsurprisingly he didn’t so she went back to what she was doing, she chose to keep her mask off her face and left it on the little table that she’d put it on last night.

She took a seat in a chair to the far side of the room and read her book in silence for the next hour or so, at least until Tsunade woke up and made eye contact with her only after looking at the book in her hands, the woman chose not to say anything seeing as she was tired and didn’t care what the girl chose to read in her free time.

“Anything to report?”

“No, ma’am.”

“Good, the meeting starts in a few hours and we’ll be meeting the new Kazekage for the first time.”

The girl nodded and watched as Shizune sat up rubbing her eyes while holding Tonton in her arms the way she always did.

Leaving Shikamaru the only one still asleep, none of the women bothered him and kept their voices down to be respectful.

Shingami put her book away and was listening to the woman as they talked to each other and prepared themselves for the criticism that was no doubt going to head their way. 

She took her tento out and started sharpening the blade without making too much noise, the others barely noticed and it wasn’t enough noise to wake up the Nara. she brushed her thumb over the sharp edge drawing blood. She wouldn’t have noticed it had it not been for the blood, her eyes quickly darted over to Shikmaru’s sleeping form before she put her healed finger in her mouth licking the blood off.

Tsunade watched her do it as Shizune had stepped away to go to the bathroom.

“Why are you being so cautious? It’s only us here.”

Her eyes went to the Nara and she sighed quietly. 

“He doesn’t know, does he?”

“I’ve been meaning to show them, but…”

Tsunade sat down across from Shingami. “How is that possible? You’re always with them.”

Shingami had her arms crossed as she watched Shikamaru’s breathing, seeing as it was still slow and steady just as it had been all night, she chose her words with caution.

“I’ve been very careful.”

“No, you’re afraid.”

Shingami closed her mouth and didn’t say anything.

“I understand why, but is it the best option? When it finally comes to light, it’s better to know sooner rather than later.”

All Shingami could think about was how many people had told her that, people she trusted, people that she was beginning to trust. All of them were in the same boat, all but herself.

It was like an invisible force stops her before she can say anything, and she chooses to stay quiet because every moment with them is too perfect to tarnish with such a terrible thing.

“I plan to, just not now.”

The two just looked at each other until they noticed Shikamaru sit up and yawn in the loudest most obnoxious way possible.

They both just stared at him and he stared back until the door opened and Shizune and Tonton came in so the three of them stared at her, making her frown. 

“What?”

“Nothing,” Tsunade said and got up from her seat and stood over a groggy Shikamaru. “Now that you’re up we can start preparing.”

_______________

Shingami stood behind Tsunade to the left Shikamaru was on her right and Shizune was on his right as well. Needless to say, there were a lot of people representing the hidden leaf at this summit but only Shingami had a bit of respect from the Kage the others needed to earn theirs. 

The Mizukage was already pleased with Lady Tsunade since now she wasn’t the only female Kage. The Tsuchikage had on his pissy face and that was all that was needed to know what exactly he was thinking. The Raikage didn’t really care and just had a serious look on his face.

Everyone was just staring at the Kazekage in silence it was to be expected though since it was none other than Gaara. Shingami was proud of how far he’d come, and he had his siblings with him and his sensei to help him out in political things that would be presented in the meeting.

Kankuro kept looking at Shingami, remembering how their last conversation went with her blade ready to cut him in a moment’s notice, he unconsciously shivered at the thought. Shingami’s eyes flashed in warning when she noticed him looking at her but she was completely calm she just did that to fuck with him, since he was already visibly fearful of her. She made a mental note to apologize later for her actions last time. 

“There are a lot of children attending this meeting.” A said to break the silence. And he was right though, Shingami, Shikamaru, Chōjūrō, Kurotsuchi, Gaara, Kankuro, and Temari all seven of them were technically children even though by shinobi law you aren’t a child once you become the rank of a chunin.

All the people attending the meeting looked at A including the seven so-called ‘Children’, even though they didn’t say anything.

“It’s a good learning experience,” Mei said confidently since Chōjūrō looked embarrass since he was one of the ones that got called out. 

“I suppose.” A agreed and then pointed at Shingami who hadn’t moved an inch since she’d taken her spot. “I like this one, and your’s, the rest I’m still on the fence about.” He paused before turning his attention to Gaara who just looked at him. “No offence, lord Kazekage.” 

“None taken.”

Shikamaru looked over at shingami who still hadn’t moved, he was surprised that the Raikage had praised her. 

“Ah yes, of course, you would like the Konoha Anbu.” The tsuchikage scoffed. “Lord third always had her close, makes you wonder what she’s really hiding underneath the mask.”

Tsunade knew the girl didn’t react so she didn’t need to do anything to defend her, but She did because she felt like she needed to. 

“Shingami, come here.” the woman said and the girl stepped forward waiting for a command. “If I recall you could best a Kage if need be.”